NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a penn battle 3000 that I ordered off of ebay. What is a good extremely light weight spinning rod that I can use to compliment this reel? I do not wish to mix brands ie buy an abu garcia rod. Any good suggestions guys? I need the rod to be feather weight light and preferably penn brand. It needs to be light but still able to jig for drum without breaking on me.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
sorry charlie, penn doesn't specialize in feather weight rods. just doesn't happen. closest thing would be the penn legion and even it is a bit heavy. If you want light weight and performance but don't want to mix with another brand that makes reels, I would recommend a ST. Croix triumph 7' medium fast action. Weighs a whopping 4.2 ounces and is incredibly sensitive for a modest price of $79.99

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
**** yea that sounds like a rod I'll look up here in just a minute. Thanks buddy!

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll 2nd the St.Croix Triumph. Works great for pups, flounder, and specs,.......then later in the summer I'll change spools to 30lb. braid and catch monster drum on it. Handles like a champ.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Big fan of the Shimano Terramars. Have two of 3000 Battles on them: a 6'6" and a 7'0. My two favorite set ups and have pounded some reds with them! Plus they're awesome to look at! Great color!

·
Registered
940 Posts
I have my battle on a shimano sellus drop shot rod.. 49.99. The only complaint i would have would be the reel seat, but it casts wonderfully and is extremely sensitive with braid.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
x2 on the teramars/battle combos..i too own a few combos, also have an older 7ft graphite shim compre that i LOVE to use with a 2500/3000 size reel... yeah, penn just doesnt have good lighter rods IMO to match their inshore sized reels...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts