NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found this kayak trolling around website. It appears to be new for 2014 and not a lot of info out there. It REALLY looks like a good starter kayak for me. I need stability and load capacity more so than speed. Seems ok equipped for the starter price of $499 delivered. I can pull the trigger on this one if it seems right for me. How much more for a decent seat and paddle would I be looking at? Keep in mind I am 5'9 and right now still around 340lbs.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/13789/Perception-Sport-Striker-115-Kayak.html

·
Registered
315 Posts
I went an looked at that kayak for my father. Looks like a great boat. The only problem I saw, was how difficult it would be getting into it from the water if you fell out. It's a VERY THICK boat. The seating is nice.

Jason

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Sundrop - You know what I went through with my journey to a kayak... Offering advice from another big guy.

IMO, you would not like the molded footpegs like that... The ones you're not using would get in the way of your legs, and be uncomfortable before the end of the day.

You also likely want some kind of seat back with this... And you need to try out the moldedd seat... It might just be too narrow for your butt (it would likely be for me).

I do like the stand assist handle... If it's being advertised for standing, it's most likely stable enough for heavy people to fish from it sitting. With that weight capacity, I thing you'd be OK with it, although you may need to plug all the scupper holes (my guess is around 300-350 water will start coming in those... My nucanoe is rated for 650, and 400 dry with no plugs)

Anything else (tracking, speed, etc), the kayak experts will speak up on... I'd want to try it out to verify that the seat and footpegs don't cause discomfort.

If nobody has it locally.... You can always buy it. You probably wouldn't lose more than $50-$75 reselling it, and that's a reasonable rental fee for the 3-4 trips it would take you to figure out if it's for you.

·
Registered
524 Posts
from one big guy to another, spend the money for comfort. you wont regret it. a 1000 bucks for a kayak seems really expensive but it was the best fishing investment i ever made for myself. my old yak would kill my back after an hour or so and leave me usless for a few days. now that i have my slayer, i can sit on the water for well over 12 hours and feel fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The Great Outdoor Provision Co. carries them and the Raleigh store had one when I was there about 2 weeks ago. Their site lists the price at $599, not sure if they do any price matching.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts
Odd... Perception's website lists them as MSRP of $499.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
25 Posts
Looks like the one at Great Outdoor is listed as the deluxe model. Has the seat back and hatch, not sure if those are the only differences though.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yes $599 is the "deluxe" model. When I get a chance i will go put my hands on one and check it out. Thanks for the input everyone, the foot arrangement might be a killer on this one.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Get something that is flexible so that you can adapt it to you.
There are several types of adjustable foot peg/steering systems available that can be mounted. This boat takes away that option pretty much.
Molded seats. You want them to be plenty large enough where you can utilize the better seating options on the market.

You want to get something you can build on. Not stuck with what somebody somewhere decided you need.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to pass on that one, some good points made here thats why I asked "those who know " :) I had not even realized how the foot rests were molded in and can see where that steals your legroom and would effect my comfort as a "wide" man. Loved that price and capacity though..

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
They have some nice adjustable foot peg systems available. To the point I probably wouldn't buy a boat with them already on it.
You have systems that are foot rests/supports but operate the rudder from the top of the pedals.
You can count on needing a rudder as alot of these type boats don't track as well as they could.
With a well tracking boat you should be able to pull a stroke on one side with the paddle and the bow not shift more than a few degrees off point. Otherwise each forward stroke becomes a corrective stroke as well. Kills the efficiency.

That's why there is little need for a well tracking boat to have a rudder but tons of these type boats sport rudders.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
The yellow boat in my photo albums is a home built. I shaped and molded in a small tracking fin that doesn't hang down below the bottom of the boat at all. It made that boat a hot rod on the water. A very easy paddler because of the efficiency that little fin gives. The last photo shows it clearly

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I cant find any photos in your album DR...

·
Red X Angler
11,228 Posts
I have fished out of several boats, all different from each other. I have a Slayer which has a good seat that is ventilated/breatheable it works well if it gets wet or if it is hot enough to be sweating.

But the best sitting seat I have is the cheap plastic folding boat seat that just happened to fit in the seat pan of my OK Drifter, it also got me up out of the water that gathers there. I had to put a piece of plastic across the fron to get the tilt of the sea right. I have never tried but I would think that a man could mold one of those seat somewhat with a heat gun.

With the scuppers in the perception may work, but there are lots of options out there and more being intrduced every day. K

Keep an eye on CL if you fall in love with something up this way I will check it out and if it is good take it to the house till we can work out a RedX shuttle.

Darrell

Comfort is King!!!

Darrell

1 - 17 of 17 Posts