NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Sorry not clear on what you are asking. Is a Perko battery switch good to isolate a battery? Yes they are. Many items will "leak" a battery down, if the power is not disconnected. Items like a jack plate, CMC trim and tilt, radios, ... BUT if you install a switch make sure your builge pump float is wired directly to the battery w/fuse protection.
I have had problems when over tighting the lugs on a Perko.
But a switch will not maintain voltage, only a charger will. A switch will only isolate a battery.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
builge pump float is wired directly to the battery w/fuse protection
Good suggestion. Friend had a boat with the battery selector that would only provide power when set on "1" or "all"....no power on the #2 setting. I was told that on the "all" setting, the batteries would never get a full charge...and the only way the bilge pump would work was if he turned it on...or set the toggle switch to auto. Several years later, a mechanic advised the selector switch was defective. It was replaced and the bilge wired direct to the battery so it would come on when needed without having to remember to set the toggle switch to auto.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Installing the Perko Battery Switch 8501DP Marine Battery Switch.
I've connected the Positive(+) cable lead of the motor power harness to the COMMON terminal post of the Perko switch.
I've connected the Negative(-) cable lead of the motor power harness to the NEGATIVE post of the Starting Battery. From this COMMON terminal of the Perko switch I connect a Positive(+) lead wire to the Accessory fuse panel to activate the panel. A Negative ground lead is connected from this fuse panel to the Negative(-) post of the Starting battery. This allows all accessories to operate.
I then installed a battery lead from the POSITIVE(+) battery post of the Starting battery to the #1 terminal of the PERKO switch. This allows, when the Perko toggle lever is moved to the #1 terminal switch
position, power to the Mercury motor so to start and the trim operation to work up and down as it should.

Note: At the present time when the Positive(+) lead of the Motor's power harness are connected to the COMMON terminal of the Perko battery switch and the Negative(-) lead of the motor's power harness is connected to the Negative(-) post of the Starting battery. With the Perko switch is in the OFF position the Mercury Motor WILL NOT START but the trim will operate slowly maybe at 50% operation. When the motor's power harness are connected to the #1 terminal and the Negative Starting battery post along with the Perko toggle lever is moved from the OFF position to the #1 Position the Mercury Motor is powered up and the motor WILL START and the trim operates up and down as it should. My question is when the Perko toggle lever is in the OFF position why does the trim still work, be it at a slow speed?

My email is
[email protected]
My Cell Phone (336) 339-0344

Please any assistance would be graciously appreciated !!

Dan Doherty
1722 Brookhaven Mill Rd.
Greensboro, NC 27406

My E-mail is [email protected]
My Cell Phone (336) 339-0344

1 - 4 of 4 Posts