NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a baitcasting combo at Dicks for $64.
Its a Pfluger intensity reel and a Allstar special rod.
Anyone know if this is a good deal or even if its a good combo to use?
Kind of new at fishing/

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Sounds like a good combo to me!

·
Registered
941 Posts
If you lock the plastic pieces in then you wil not have any brakes and if all out, you have full brake. I usually set 2-3 out and it works well for me. Depends on the weight of the lure you will be using. I have mine set for each rod I have. This in conjunction with your spool tension knob will put you casting a mile in no time.

Reactions: cobra-drvr

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks!!!

Is there a rule of thumb to use for asjusting the brake and tension for getting started? Obviously I will google it to find sites that talk about learning to cast a baitcaster, but if anyone has some favorites that would be great!

·
Registered
941 Posts
opposite of what you said. If you push them out then it applies the brake. They become loose so when the the spool spins it pushes the plastic pieces against the edge of the spool to slow it down. If you push them in then they can't make contact with the spool to slow it down and then of course you get the bird nest.

General rule is hold the rod at a 45 degree angle, with the lure that you will be using, press the release button and let the lure drop to the floor. You want the tension knob tight enough to where when the lure hits the floor the spool stops with no over-run. Do not use your thumb to assist in stopping it or when you cast it will be to loose.

I will try and post a packet that goes over this basic baitcaster setup. If it don't work then give me your email and will send it to you when I get home.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Opps Venom, I edited my 1st reply while you where writing yours. I re-read your post and "got it" so I edited out my 2nd question about the pins :)

I see what you mean now. Snap in and the brake is off, loose brake is applied.

It came from Dick's with all of them loose so I had full brake, hoping that is why I couldnt cast very far with it. It took me a bit to figure out how that cover comes off, now I will try with different brake settings!

thanks again

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Thanks!!!

Is there a rule of thumb to use for asjusting the brake and tension for getting started? Obviously I will google it to find sites that talk about learning to cast a baitcaster, but if anyone has some favorites that would be great!
I always started with all brakes ON to get used to the reel and how it handles different weight lures. Then as I improved my ability to use it, I would move a few to the OFF position. Just keep going til there's no more adjustments needed/available.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Good info Venom!! I'm new to baitcasters too so I am learning alot!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.