NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Good job! Now it's time to put some slime of your own on it!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Juggin
As for roof racks -- the answer I got when I was looking was that the thing that sets Thule and Yakima apart is that you're less likely to get wind-whistle -- that's one of the things their engineers try to work out, and why their instructions tell you to place the towers at particular spots. Other brands are less expensive, but might or might not whistle once you get 'em up there.

In my case - 2002 Saturn sedan, yeah, a small one - I didn't have any place to hook a tiedown strap to, without rails of some kind. Foam pads would have cushioned the boat on the roof, but there wasn't any place to tie down. Another lesson learned from my Saturn -- if you've got a highly domed roof, you'll prefer Yakima's round rails over Thule's square ones.

As for where to find a deal, first step is to PM Backlash and ask if he's still got the rails he was trying to sell. (I think that's the right guy -- one of the Fayetteville crowd.) If not, then set a search on eBay and CraigsList. I bought mine, towers and rails, for about $95, then had to buy a fit kit for my car for another $50, so I got off for right around half price. (Of course, if I'd have bought from a dealer, they might have recognized the domed-roof problem described above!)

I usually don't use any cradle or other attachment on my rails -- just toss the boat up there, deck down, since that's the flat side. I picked up a pair of J-cradles when they were on sale and I had a 20% coupon, for the rare occasions when I need to carry a second boat.

Hope it helps
Lefty

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Congrats on the new ride!!

·
Registered
539 Posts
Where are you located? I will sell you my old Yakima rack for $100. They dont make a fit kit for my car and I do have to shell out $300 for a new rack system from Thule. I prefer the round load bars from Yakima. It was on my old Volvo.....I was going to put in on the wifes mini van but she said no. You will need to check and see if there is a fit kit for your vehicle first.

Let me know if you are interested.

Congrats on the 140. As mentioned if you need any rigging help, let us know. I have a rigged out 140 now.....although I no longer use rear rod holders because of the ultimate milk crate that I built with built in rod holders. I will suggest for the front rod holder that you use the Scotty flush mount rather than the raised mount. If you are going to do an anchor trolley I have a inexpensive and expensive method......only real difference is harken blocks and bungy.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Dude, you are now entering a world of addiction! Congrats! Thats awesome. Nice boat for sure. Look forward to meeting you at one of the events some day. This site offers all the support you need to catch some fish, thats for sure!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.