NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So since selling our place on the White Oak River, and selling my Carolina Skiff in 2010, I have been completely land bound and have done zero fishing. I have been looking at fishing yaks for a while and finally settled on the Ride 115x.

Looking for someone who can help me make the transition to yak fishing. I have tons of gear, some will be relevant, and I am sure much will not. I fully intend to make some weekend fishing/camping trips to the coast, but also want to fish some of my local waters like Salem Lake, Belews, etc. Anybody need a fishing buddy?

·
Red X Angler
11,227 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
There are several good floats on the yadkin and the Ararat rivers. The Dan river is nice also .

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
River fishing I know zero about. Grew up fishing lakes and creeks in south Arkansas, and north Louisiana, spent the last 15 years fishing at the coast. I have searched for threads to get pointers on river fishing, but must be using the wrong search terms. I could use some recommendations on what type of rod and reel, line, baits etc.

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have a great kayak. That is what I use and I love it. If you want to fish lakes, start with randleman reservoir. That is a excellent place to yak fish and they do have a no motor policy on one end which is perfect for kayaks.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Rides are nice boats. If you want to bring it out this way sometime it would work great in the Yadkin or New for smallies and whatever. Bring it to the Bay River M&G in Sept. it is a great time and there is usually plenty of fish within Yakking distance of the campground.

http://www.ncangler.com/forums/threads/58568-Bay-River-M-amp-G-DATES-ONLY!?highlight=Bay+River

Darrell
Looks like the M&G is taking place on my birthday weekend, hopefully the wife will understand. Thanks for the tip

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I'm in Winston, and I'm a newbie to kayak fishing.... Been out about 5 times on mine. I love it, but I'm still learning to be comfortable with it,

I don't do rivers at this point...

We're cursed with fees to launch and/or fish from lakes in the triad. Just about any lake you can launch at wants to stick you for $4-$8. This is a pet peeve of mine, I won't change it, but I feel the need to complain about it constantly.

I've had fun at Oak Hollow Lake in High Point ($4 launch fee).

Randleman is like $8... Salem lake is like $8.50.

Bellews is free, but they have tons of jet skiers and wake boarders.

Kernersville Lake doesn't allow private kayaks. Nor do the ponds in Tanglewood.

Good luck... If you feel like learning together, send me a PM sometime... I'm generally available every other Saturday (I don't kayak fish when I have my kids, the joys of divorce...).

Reactions: dbeam
1 - 7 of 7 Posts