NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been catching a fair number of pickerel on minnows while crappie fishing. I remember someone on here sharing a recipe for them a while back that basically used the acid in lime juice to cook the fish along with herbs and the like. Can anyone tell me what that is?

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, just to keep the thread going what is your favorite ceviche recipe. I found several online like you said? Thinking about trying one I found by Alton Brown on the Food Network website. I've got to go fishing again first and catch me another of those jacks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am from New england, and pickerel are common there. They can also be uncommonlly tasty when grilled. The trick is to grill them slowly (preferably in a basket where you just turn the basket to change sides. Slow cooking over a low flame will actually cook the small bones into nothing (which preparing the fish as ceviche' will not do). I alwys make a basting sauce of lime juice, butter, basil, fresh ground pepper and a few other spices which I use on the "up" side every time I turn the basket. The trick is to be patient and coolk the fish slow and long.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have to ask where you are catching so many of these things, it is one of only a few species that I have never caught and I would really like to scratch it off my list. I just have no idea where or how to go ab it. If anyone wants to share some info I'd be glad to supply the boat tackle and food needed to catch a few.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Pickerel are the dominent predator in Jones Lake in Elizabethtown (http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/jone/main.php). I haven't had the chance to satisfy my desire to try it, yet (but, it's on my list), and it should be good. One caution that I have heard is that Jones Lake's countryside is also popular with snakes of the copperhead persuasion.

The State record of a little over 8# came out of the Gaston Reservoir in '68 (no idea how good the fishing is there now).

Since you have never caught one, you are in for a treat. They are like a torpedo with teeth. They seem to be constantly ****** off. I think that they may have a Napoleonic Complex that makes them feel like they should be the big boys of the family, not the Muskies.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm fishing the Roanoke and Cashie Rivers.

I have to ask where you are catching so many of these things, it is one of only a few species that I have never caught and I would really like to scratch it off my list. I just have no idea where or how to go ab it. If anyone wants to share some info I'd be glad to supply the boat tackle and food needed to catch a few.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Jacks are really a tasty fish - the bones are the problem. I learned to eat Jacks as a kid in central South Carolina - the "secret" was to criss-cross cut the flesh on both sides (through the small bones) and deep fry them breaded, in hot grease. The small bone (like hairbrush bristles) cook up. It really is a fine-tasting and firm meat.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I was told to filet out the V bones like a walleye and you end up with two filets a side....now to find some of those critters and try it. I've also heard there were definitely no Jacks in Mayo.

Since I've decided to filet up some Jacks...they've been ghosts. Figures. All those Skates should take notice, I learned a easy way to filet them too this year...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.