NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does anyone have any of Mark drowning himself for it???
Ya mean like these?

Kelley gave me a CD with 130 stills on it. I'm still culling...

Attachments

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Kelley gets the credit for those pics. I was just the background.

Reactions: NCPIERMAN

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Wow, sorry I didn't answer your questions, Dave.
Having seen a stuffed cobia on the wall at Bass Pro in Destin, FL, I'm pretty confident it was one of those, on the order of 30" long.

Mark had hopped out of his yak to try to see the thing well enough to get a net around it. Unfortunately the fish figured out what was up and pulled me into deeper water.

Giddy, the end of the story was a break-off. :( They set up a tow rope to pull me to shallower water, and in my exhaustion-impaired state of judgement (or lack thereof), I palmed the spool on the reel. In hindsight, though, I'm doubtful I could have landed him - he wasn't acting tired, and I've heard I don't want a green cobia sitting on my lap... I'm still shopping for a bigger knife to bring to the next of those gunfights.

·
Registered
2,748 Posts
No,,, you definately dont want a green cobia on your lap.

Also, if you werent aware already,, they have very sharp spines there on their back behind their head... definately handle with care.

Yup,, sometimes you end up with a rifle at a tank battle... just how it is sometimes! ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I hadn't heard that one, TA -- sounds like I ought to be happy having qualified by the "touched the leader" rule...

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I hadn't heard that one, TA -- sounds like I ought to be happy having qualified by the "touched the leader" rule...
Yeah, esp. if don't plan to keep 'em. After they are wore out, guys with bigger boats and thus bigger fish boxes throw 'em in the fish box in one quick movement. Then slam it shut and SIT on top of the lid while it thrashes about. My box ain't big enough so if I keep one, I have a flying gaff that I use to tie him off on a cleat till DEAD. More than one boat has been TRASHED by a cobia. Serious.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I'd read about somebody getting a rope around its tail - I think it was a cobia - and draggin' it backwards 'til it drowned. The bad part about keepin' 'em seems to be, I bet they don't like to sit still to be measured. Once you can get 'em to hold still, it's too late to throw 'em back. (At least, with witnesses.)

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
I ALWAYS SAID IF MARK COULDNT CATCH EM BY ROD HE WOULD TRY BY HAND LOL............... WAY TO GO MARK FOR AT LEAST TRYING TO HELP CATCH THAT BRUTE,YOU GUYS ROCK.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Lefty, I don't remember seeing (if you even said) where you were fishing when you locked into Cob-zilla. Do you mind sharing the area?

By the way, you are constantly cracking me up in the subtle post responses (i.e. "the Hobie-induced" spelling errors on the word "pedals".) Its hilarious to see I'm not the only one trying to overlook these "pevish" type items, and subtly failing.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
<chuckle> I've gotta keep my eyes open for environments where it won't incite a hornet's nest... I have varying success....

Cob-zilla struck down at Fort Fisher, down south of Zeke's Island, between the barrier islands and the seawall.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The thing was, we were headed for the beach and hot dogs when Lefty hooked that monster.

Lefty still had one or two lines trolling, which I think he forgot about, when ZING, off the little fishy went with the bait and Lefty fought that fight for about 2 hours! :eek: :cool:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I knew the trolling line was back there -- I think he'd been following it, and hit when I took it away from him. Three cranks into pulling it in, that's when it went Zing!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.