NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found another good topwater bite this weekend. Had to use a pretty aggressive cadence -- almost walking the popper at times -- otherwise just got blowups. Bite was so good that I used popper all day long -- prob made less than a dozen combined casts with anything else. Biggest fish (6lbs 2oz) came at noon off a bank I had worked ca. an hour earlier. Second big fish (5lbs 7oz) came at 3:30pm at the back of a cove. First fish had apparently already spawned out, second was clearly full of eggs. Both released on the spot in good health -- kept them in the water while I prep'd the camera. Feel like I made hundreds of casts today -- bite was often dependent (but not always) on long, accurate casts. Really broke in my new BPS Pro Qualifier reel -- it does cast like a dream but its drag system leaves something to be desired (teflon washers were very jerky with big fish, even with a fairly loose drag settings). Will solve that ASAP by upgrading to Carbontex washers.

I did change out my leader from flourocarbon to 20lb mono. That kept the leader from snagging constantly on the front trebles and I could shake out most tangles that did occur. Guessing the flouro sinks just enough to allow the front trebles to tangle up with leader -- esp with a popper.

// joel

Glasses Goggles Vision care Sunglasses Eyewear

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
you are one of the few. Most reports from the weekend have been sad to say the least!! Good job!

Reactions: Spider Crack

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The Pro Qualifier is a sweet reel, and I got it this winter half price at $50 - so can't complain at all. But it's still odd that BPS continues to use these cheap teflon washers instead of carbon fiber -- the difference in smoothness is immediately noticeable. Plus I think it increases the theoretical drag strength, although I'm not sure 20lb+ drag pressure would ever be needed (the Pro Qualifier's teflon drag system is rated at ca. 10lbs, but a Revo with comparable carbon fiber drag stack is 24lbs!). I should add that I did take that reel apart this weekend, cleaned the drag washers, then re-lubricated with shimano drag grease, and drag is acceptably smooth for now. But I went ahead and ordered a carbon fiber drag kit from Smoothdrag for $10.

FYI -- joel

Reactions: Whitewater

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I've been lurking the ebay and sales sights and grabbing Shimano Caenans. NCSF recommended them to me and I bought a new one and LOVE it. I am new to really working baitcasters and it has been an easy transition with the Shimano. A patient search got the new one for $64, last one they had, and I've found some nice clean like new used ones for $50 and scored one with some boat rash but cleaned up and works fine for $25. Typically they are around $75 in various places.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
very, very cool. Yes, I wondered whether a jerkbait might have worked as well this weekend. great looking fish -- congrats to Kelli.
// joel

Reactions: lewisfishing

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't owned a Caenan but have worked on them (my favorite rod builder Brett has a couple), and thought they were solid and smooth reels. Sounds like a great reel for the money.

I've been lurking the ebay and sales sights and grabbing Shimano Caenans. NCSF recommended them to me and I bought a new one and LOVE it.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
very, very cool. Yes, I wondered whether a jerkbait might have worked as well this weekend. great looking fish -- congrats to Kelli.
// joel
Jerk baits are a very good choice this time of year. Spawners really get agitated when one is hovering near the bed and they will smack them pretty well. I like a fluke for this type of fishing, but switched to jerk baits at times because they have more exposed hooks, depending how the fish are hitting it.

Works for Kelli, too! Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.