NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out fishing in my favorite lake over the weekend. I fished long and hard all day rowing myself around in the Jon boat. I started off all morning throwing my favorite soft plastics, to no avail. I was patient, worked slow and only caught a couple of small decent fish all morning, maybe 14'' at best. I finally decided I had to try something else. I usually am after larger fish, so I decided to tie a jig on. I was glad I did, as soon as I threw it out right where I had just had my plastic worm, I started hopping it and smash, big fish on. Put up a great fight and finally, I caught my first nice fish of the day, 4 lb 15 oz. Worked the jig around a bit more and caught a couple other 2-3 lb fish. Then drifting my way back to the put in, I am working the jig real slow and again kaboom, big fish on. Another fun bout with a fish and I lip a 6 lb even Bucketmouth. I think I will be fishing a jig a lot more this fall. Sorry about the pictures, they are pretty bad.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
You know, in all my years of bass fishing (and that's a LOT of years) I never was a jig fan. Guess it's about confidence and while I fish plastics, hard baits, spinnerbaits, etc., I always felt I could find fish on one of those baits. However the last few times I fished I had the same results as you...nada on plastics or cranks or spinners where I knew there were fish. This is the second post I've seen in a week with bass caught on jigs. I thought they were more of a cold water bait but I guess not...

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
Its not often that I fish and dont have a jig rod on the deck. I use them year around and they do catch quality fish. A few years ago I got on a jig bite that lasted from labor day to early october. Some of the fish I caught were dirt shallow in 88-93 degree water, one of which was just shy of 9 lbs.

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
I've been fishing a jig hard since 1980 and only ever use a real pork rind trailer. I would say conservatively I've caught 300 bass four to eight pounds on that combo. It works on days when the bite is tuff and nothing else would work and it seems to only attract fish over 2 pounds. I've actually not used it much in the last five years as I fish flows over lakes now mostly and and have been on a topwater kick.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.