NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to try out a local river next weekend in the yak. I've never fished a river from the yak, so any tips would be appreciated. Also if anyone is interested in joining me I would welcome the company.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ive put in here before-
399 Sarratt Rd, Gaffney, SC

tell us if you catch any bass, I've had luck on white fat alberts(zoom)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe it is around 8 miles from Broad River Greenway to the takeout mentioned above. I have never been on this section it is just based on what I have been told but I know some guys who claim to do pretty well on smallies.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks gents.

I assume that if I cross over into SC with my fishing gear, even if I stop fishing, I should have a SC license? Anyone know how much these cost?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there any reason to have the depth finder here? It's not much of an effort to bring it along, but if I'm not going to use it I would rather leave it at home.

·
Registered
40 Posts
There's another access under hwy 18 I think, not sure if you can get a kayak out though.
You can. Well at least you could when I was going to school in boiling springs. Made the trip from 150 to 18 a bunch.

I was always under the impression that long as you stowed the gear you could cross into SC to take out. Never was checked to confirm that but I asked around and got that same info on both sides of the border.

Joining this board has gotten me itching to come home.

·
Registered
97 Posts
You can put in/take out at:

NC:
Hwy. 221A just below Cliffside, NC.
Hwy. 150 just south of Boiling Springs, NC (Broad River Greenway)

SC:
Big Bay Access and other access points here: http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/facts-and-maps/gaston-shoals.asp

There are portages at the Duke Energy plant between 221A and 150 and one below the Big Bay access. I think there may be one or two more below that but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
555 Posts
If youve never river fished, id suggest doing the float in sc from hwy 18 to cherokee falls. The stretch from Lake Houser to SC has some tough to navigate shoals. Ive caught most of my bigger fish on the Hwy 18 float also. The river has been muddy and high so I havent been fishing there lately.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Floated 8/2 from Houser to the greenway. I loved it, but like KM said, there were some pretty dicey areas. Managed to keep the NuCanoe upright, and although the fishing wasn't great (water too high?), I didn't get skunked. Caught two teeny smallmouth and a few redbreasts.

I really appreciate all the input. Can't wait to get back out there and do it again.

Smallie.jpg Broad River.jpg 140802 Smallmouth.jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts