NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today me & the wife ventured down to Oceana pier, to try our luck, the cost $20.00 for 2 it was a nice day. there were not alot of fish caught. I only caught 3 the wife 6. one blufish for me on a lure/jig about 12 inches. there was bait fish all over the place, including the birds terns, gulls & of course Pelicans. I think they caught more fish than the fishermen. Is there any secret to keeping shrimp on the hook? it seems like we spent more time feeding the fish than catching.. The shrimp were the frozen kind, will fresh shrimp stay on longer? Also is there a better bait to use? my fishing catch has been small lately. thanks. I really didn't see any kings or spanish caught. & 1 pompano. Thanks

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I only use frozen shrimp if I am the one who froze it. I put my shrimp in brine before I freeze it and it keeps a fresher smell/feel but I always try hard to get fresh shrimp. Bloodworms are great bait right now usually for sale at the piers as well as sandfleas(molecrabs) Also FISHBITES bait alternative in bloodworm flavor works well and isn't easily picked off by crabs and pinfish. Any little stuff you catch ( that doesnt have a size limit regulation) can be cut in chunks and used as bait as well.

Reactions: ducks & geese

·
Registered
11 Posts
I went a few days ago to Johnnie Mercer's Pier and didnt catch much of anything either. I mix up the type of bait I use, from shrimp to mud minnows. I seen alot of guys bringing in spanish makerels/bluefish with plugs, and heard a few guys landed kings last weekend on a sliding bait rig. I would have to agree with Dave B, the hour and a half drive to get raped by pinfish is enough to sometimes forget about making the effort to come back down. Its the memories of having those good days I guess that gives me the addiction to make the drive, and if not the scenic view. No ideas how to help you with the shrimp issue, I buy them frozen and let them thaw and then use smaller pieces, there was a article I came across where a guy explained how to salt shrimp and let them cure for a few days to weeks in the frig making them rubbery and nearly "oder less".

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Agreed Sarge, cant catch'm from the couch! Fishin and Catchin.. two different things!

You can ask my wife, I went faithfully almost 2 years, every weekend and chance I got to shark fish off the pier. I'd walk down with the perfect baits (half bonita's, crevalles, whole mullets) and my rods over my shoulder... fish till the sun was well up after getting there at 9 pm. the previous night..

NADA.... maybe a tug here, tug there, maybe once in a blue moon a good run on the clicker, then nada.... Thought about giving up many times... would watch folks come out and in a hour "bang" 7 ft black tip! uhhhhh.....

Then one night... in the 9th inning, 2 outs... Kzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... biggest shark I'd ever hooked (estimated at 12 ft) a bull shark.

I dont fish like that anymore and reflecting back... I dont know what the drive was other than to have a chance (thinking each time,, tonight's the night!) yet go home empty handed, money down the tubes soaking bait, time put in... but the thing is.. I met some pretty interesting charactor's! (night time pier crowd definately a different group for sure!), learned some tips/lessons/techniques and most importantly, had a good time doing something I enjoyed.

Gettin out to fish? aint nothin wrong with that... might go home with nothing, but the ones you catch are the best! ;)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Sounds pretty close to my experiences with the pier sharking. You can wait a long time before you catch anything big. Sold my sharking rigs in '86 and haven't reconsidered yet. I had some fun but it was time to give it up and do something different. One tip for aspiring sharkers...never gaff a green 12' shark unless you want to fight....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.