NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard of lots of people catching some big kings from the pier. I have never fished for kings before, but i would certainly like to give it a try. I have seen a lot of rods on the internet for king fishing, but i don't know what exactly to get. I am on a budget of around $250.00 to spend on a king setup. I plan on king fishing from the pier. Can any one give me some solid advice on the right gear i will need?

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Oh man, you will need a ton of stuff and 250 dollars will not even start to get all you need.:eek:

Not really, couple of rods, 1 anchor rod, 1 rod to reel in the fish and a casting rod or something to catch bait.

Ease out on the pier you plan to fish and talk to the guys out there. Most of em are more than willing to show you what you need, tackle and help you get started. They are willing to share a wealth of information about rods, reels, tackle and stuff to get started, then you start adding as you go, that way the tackle Monkey doesn't rob you blind to start at least, maybe later.

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
476 Posts
This is great advice. Go and see and learn from the people that doing it. Don't worry about keeping to a budget. Once you get the passion fiscal sense goes out the window. Thanks to Eliot Spitzer you can use this line "At least I didn't spend $80,000 on a hooker"

Seriously go and see the peeps that are doing it and start from there.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Depending on what tackle you allready have and what you can make by yourself $250 is not bad. I would find your fighting rod combo first this time of year alot of places are having sales like Bass Pro and you can get a 4/0 combo for around $100(you want a reel that can handle about 400 yds of 30lb at least). For the anchor rod a simple surf rod combo that can throw a 4-6 oz weight at least(spinning are most economical). Then for king rig, clothes pins rigs, and anchor I like to make my own. Depending where you are fishing if they have a live well or not, a 5 gal bucket with lid and holes in it for bait.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Yep its that time of year again where all the clothes pins start disappearing from the wash rooms and clothers lines.;)

Just bug a new pack for a few bucks and give the lady of the house the rest, let her know you are thinking of her.:eek:

tight lines <*)))))>{

·
Registered
374 Posts
Go to Wal Mart, and buy some plastic clothespins. They already have the holes in the upper end, where you'll need to attach some line, and a snap swivel, to attach to your anchor (Trolley) line. When I use them, I take a file, and smooth the teeth off the plastic clothespins. If you don't, they're very hard about releasing when you get a strike.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Got this in the mail today. Okuma Coronado CD-90 Baitfeeder. This thing has the line capacity for Kings, but does anyone use Spinning reels for them? Figured I can do some deep sea stuff too....

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Nice looking reed there ..........drop.........had to check and see what board I was on before the name, checked for a crankbait.:p should be a nice surf rig also.

tight lines ,*)))))>{

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Drop if you are talking about kings from a pier, that probably isn't enough reel. Most guys like to use 30# line from the pier so they can muscle the fish a bit and with that you would only have about 250 yards of line - I use 490 yards of #20 on mine and I can chase 'em down with the boat when needed (and have had to on a number of occasions). Big Kings can make some terrific runs, especially before the water gets hot.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I was thinking with 330yds capacity of 25lb mono I could spool it with 30lb braid add a 50lb shock and make up the difference...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Most critical piece of equipment may be an alarm clock -- get there early for a good spot.

The post http://www.ncangler.com/forums/f62/p...live-3993.html (Pier fishing for King Mackerel fishing with live bait) mentioned above is very clear on the standard method for NC piers. One thing I've learned watching the folks at piers in other areas like Florida or the Gulf is that there are other methods that work (bait under a drifting balloon, for example, if the wind is right), but you need to go with what the rest of the group is using, or tangles abound.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I wondered about ballooning, but do they allow that on piers in NC? I didnt think you could do any type of drifting/Float fishing on piers? I dont know for sure? ??

·
Registered
347 Posts
Re: Pier King Fishing-tackle

A plastic snap type shower curtain ring makes an easy way to get your bait attached to the anchor line and slide down to the water on your taught anchor line once you get your anchor line set. I make mine up by attaching some wire to the shower ring, thread a 1 oz. egg sinker on the wire, then tie the clothes pin onto the other end of the wire. When done correctly you will have the weight sliding between the ring and the clothes pin. As for tackle - I have bought some good stuff from pawn shops. And like somebody else said, get there early. I have been known in my younger days to actually sleep on the pier so that we could get a good position the next morning. Fabricate yourself a bait bucket. I made mine from a 5 gallon bucket with some 3/8" holes drilled in it. Drill your holes somewhat up from the bottom of the bucket so that some water stays in but not alot. That way you can use that same bucket for your surf or inlet bait bucket. If you can catch bait the night before thats even better. I have gotten to the pier before only to have a heck of a time catching a decent bait. Lastly, dont set you drag too tight. I saw a big amberjack send an expensive rod/reel flying over the side rail once, it wasnt pretty. See ya out there when the water hits 68 degrees!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
IVE DONE ALOT OF PIER FISHING FOR KINGS THOUGH I NEVER CAUGHT ONE :eek: BUT MY SET UP WAS A 12FT SURF ROD WITH ANY KIND OF REEL THAT WOULD HOLD AT LEAST 200 YRDS OF 20 POUND TEST LINE AND MY FIGHTING STICK WAS A PENN SENATOR 6\0 THAT WAS BOUGHT FOR 159.00 FROM DUDLEYS A FEW YEARS BACK.
MY CLIP RIGS WERE MADE BY MYSELF WITH 130 POUND WIRE SLIPED THRU AN EGG SINKER NORMALLY1 -2 -3 OUNCES WITH A SNAP SWIVEL PLACED ON THE WIRE BEFORE IT WAS PUT THRU THE SINKER ALONG WITH A BEAD ONCE THE WIRE WAS THRU BEND IT OUT TO THE SIDE AND YOU WOULD SEE IT SEPERATE TO EACH SIDE,THE TAG END WAS AN INCH OR 2 LONG, LONG ENOUGH TO HOLD ANOTHER BARREL SWIVEL WITH LEADER AND HOOKS,WHEN A FISH WOULD HIT IT WOULD PULL OF THE TAG ENDS ALLOWING THE SINKER TO DRIFT TO THE END OF THE ANCHOR LINE.

Reactions: Scott Hobbs

·
Registered
104 Posts
Darn right, pier rules always win. They are more likely to be enforced even than NC fishing regs, truth be told. As private businesses they can be as tough as they want. Some piers say no sharking, or no kingfishing, or limit number of rods or (my favorite, and one I think is from a NC pier) no carts without pneumatic tires!

But forget management for a second; if you try to freeline bait when everyone else on the pierside is throwing jigs at lemonfish (ling, cobia), expect some "feedback" from fellow anglers too. We all have to live together out on the boards and we can't any of us fish like we're alone.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.