NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much thought, I have decided to invest in some start-up gear for trolley fishing off the pier for kings. With some changes coming in life I will have the opportunity to be at the coast much more often. King fishing has fascinated me since I was 15. I have plugged for ages and catching bait isn't a problem ( I actually have my most fun catching blues for the resident kingers). I have an anchor rod (15' surf rod) and a large diawa open-face that will meet the specs for heaving the anchor. I am however stuck on a fighting rod setup...a budget setup. For the real I was thinking 4/0, 6/0 penn sen. what I am finding most confusing is selecting a R O D ... so I turn to the knowledge from those on this site who have input. Side note, line, something 25lb seems to be the standard...any brands you guys/gals like more or have noticed hold up better? As always I appreciate any feedback that I receive! Thanks all! Tight Lines!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
My fighting rod is a 6' 30-50... currently looking forward to a new custom thats a bit shorter maybe 5' or 5'6

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Rod
6-8 foot
15-50 line rating (15-30,20-40,30-50) anywhere around there
Fast action with a light tip is key. You want the top 2 foot or so of the rod to have a good amount of flex in it even under light pressure to prevent hooks from pulling on kings but then the rod shouldn't flex too deep so that when you need to put the heat on a shark, tarpon, or cobia your rod loads and stops flexing beyond a certain point.

Anything that comes close to those suggestions should make a good rod for kingin off the pier

·
Registered
529 Posts
Where are you located, LuckyOne? I have a 6'6" Tica boat rod that I bought a few years ago for pin rigging that I'd let go of real cheap. It's handled a few blacktips wonderfully, but that's the extent of a workout it's recieved. It's a 1 pc, though, so I don't know that shipping it is feasible.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts