NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if anybody else has thought of or done this: Instead of the pre-built pier carts, with rod holders and some space for the cooler, use a garden wagon. I found one today, with steel mesh sides, that drop down. Will be rigging with PVC on the sides for rod holders. Additionally, this wagon has 10" rubber tires- probably great for the sand. And best of all, I found one for $45! Kmart has same for $70 and Wally world has the bigger ones for $80. Much better than the $150 to $250 carts at the tackle stores. Take that Tackle Monkey!

Will post pics when I get it rigged.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I use a flat steel, folding handle, cart my Wife bought from Sams. It had pneumatic tires and will easily push over gravel, boards, sand, etc. It is a little heavy, but I can load it down with a big cooler, tackle box, small cooler, folding chairs and I have 3 pvc rod holders mounted on the fold down handle and storage for my bungee cords..

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I bought a tool cart from Big Lots. Basically a milk crate with two wheels and a handle. This had a number of pouches that lay over the outside of the crate. It's got plently of pouches to hold tackle and the long pouches that hold a hammer work good for transporting rods. Haven't tried it out yet but I thought this would work good for bank/surf/pier fishing. Gonna give it a try Saturday evening I hope at the Cape Fear.

Reactions: sundrop

·
Registered
145 Posts
I was given one of those yellow garden wagons, with the 10" tires, put some rod holders on the sides and its great on the pier. I have enphysema which makes it hard just to walk the pier, but I can pull that wagon easily whith cooler,rods,tackel and all I need. Al

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Has anyone added a seat to one of those garden wagons ? I'm thinking that all that it would take would be a piece of shelving board some foam and a piece of waterproof whatever. No need to fasten it to the cart. Just lay it across the back and let it hang over an inch or two on 3 sides...Maybe screw some 3/4" cleats to three sides. Nothing like having a seat that you can say is yours. A golf umberella an some one inch pvc pipe for a shade tree when it is hot and calm.:cool:

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I used one of the old seat bottoms from my boat "redo" and screwed it to the lid of my 48qt cooler. Makes a nice soft seat that can be used anywhere! I'm sure you could do the same with a floatation cushion or buy foam and vinyl from Mill Outlet and cover a piece of plywood..

·
Registered
145 Posts
Has anyone added a seat to one of those garden wagons ? I'm thinking that all that it would take would be a piece of shelving board some foam and a piece of waterproof whatever. No need to fasten it to the cart. Just lay it across the back and let it hang over an inch or two on 3 sides...Maybe screw some 3/4" cleats to three sides. Nothing like having a seat that you can say is yours. A golf umberella an some one inch pvc pipe for a shade tree when it is hot and calm.:cool:

As for the seat that sounds like a plan,I carry a couple of those folding chairs that stow in their own bags, they ride good on the wagon and don't take up much room. As for the shade, I have a patio umbrella,(cheap from the dollar store) put a hose clamp on the pole about six inches from the bottom, to keep it from going all the way thru and after I take the rods out, it fits nicely in the rod holders on the cart. That way it cooles the coolers and bait box also.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I got myself one of those 3 wheel baby strollers that you see the in shape moms use when they go out jogging with thier baby's, stripped all the junk off and it works for all kinds of stuff. I can put my backpack and a cooler plus flyrods etc. and hike into the back country I have also rigged it to do the pier thing and I've also been known to move bags of cement.
Best of all GOODWILL $10

·
Registered
14 Posts
i work at a home improvement store and we sell those garden carts. 70 dollars i think. the yellow ones. i have acually helped some people design one for fishing. and when the man came back he said my design worked out wonderful.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Old baby strollers are handy for lots of things and always dirt cheap at yard sales and thrift shops especially if they're NASTY! LOL!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.