NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a trip to Carolina Beach slated next week and specifically for casting a 7' Penn Fierce using 12# mono, casting spoons and plugs, do I need to get some mono leaders or use steel ones, and if so how big/long should they be? I know both have nice sets of chompers so I have some long-nosed pliers for hook removal, and I have to lookup the size limitations for thoughts of them ending up on my plate, but I gotta catch um' first!

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Use mono or fluro leaders tied on. I use 15 pound fluro joined with an alberto knot and 1/2 ounce jig fish lures with new hooks and split rings. I use about 3-4 feet of leader so you have plenty of room to cut and re tie when the line gets chafed.

·
Red X Angler
9,007 Posts
You can catch blues off the end with a wire leader but probably not leader shy Spanish in clear water. Go with the fluoro and recognize you may get cut off a time or two...usually by another fish, not the hooked one.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I don't know how much of a difference mono/fluro makes when you are chunking metal rigs. I have found fluro to work better when slow trolling with live bait etc etc.

Yes, the alberto knot is similar to an albright knot. Basically a double albright knot. I have only used it to connect mono to braid but it should work on mono to mono of different diamters.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I go with a 40 or 60 lb. mono leader. Guess I'm a little more proud of my metals than the rest. I see nothing wrong with 12 lb mono for a mainline. Your mileage may vary. I hope they come in range of your 7' PF.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Take 6 pieces of line and try a few of those connection knots. Tie 2 pieces together with the Alberto, 2 with a double uni and 2 with a double surgeons knot. Then pull each till they break and see which knot retained the most strength... I guarantee the Alberto knot fairs poorly.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Take 6 pieces of line and try a few of those connection knots. Tie 2 pieces together with the Alberto, 2 with a double uni and 2 with a double surgeons knot. Then pull each till they break and see which knot retained the most strength... I guarantee the Alberto knot fairs poorly.
Maybe so but I have never had one fail. I have had 50 pound braid fail but never an alberto knot.

Whatever you do, don't use a swivel. It will get hammered by the blues/spanish and you will continue to be cut off.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seven foot hmg with shimano sedona 2500 10lb mono My son ties my double uni for me. Leader is just 25lb mono. We typically fare well off the bogue inlet pier. You will lose some from time to time. A school of blue fish could bite through the cable on my come along if I kept casting it out there.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I use 20-25 mono leaders, flouro if I happen to have some around. Ollies had had a bunch of leader material if you have one around cheap. I am fine with some mono I have left on a spool. Check it often, even a tiny scuff can break you off. If you can feel it, its a problem. Uni-uni works for me. I like the looks of the FG knot but haven't tried it yet. I only use steel leaders if all I expect are Blues. They don't care..

Reactions: Rod Wielder

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Very nice, thanks my friend I appreciate it. I'm headed to Sports Authority here shortly to see what I can find there, then Walmart perhaps. I'm not close enough to find Saltwater tackle on close out but there's a bunch of rigs cheap, I always buy more than I intended!

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
The FG is the cadillac knot of attaching mono to braid. There is no thinner knot. Think Chinese finger cuff. The tighter you pull it the more it holds.
For me, it's about a 5 minute knot but my finger dexterity isn't the best either.
You'll have to look at some videos on it. People go about it different ways using either half hitches of the same orientation or reversing half hitches as well as different numbers of half hitches. In the end, it's the same knot just tied a different way.

I prefer reversing the half hitches

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
FG is a knot I would tie at home, but on the run its gonna be uni uni ..LOL

Reactions: Swampin'
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.