NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Family is headed to Pine Knoll tomorrow for a few days before school starts back up. Catch anything or not, we like to surf fish. Planning on the usual shrimp and squid bits on a two-hook bottom rig. Anything else to try so the kids catch a little something? Mullet or some other bait? Thank you.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm at Emerald Isle right now, Fishings been slow, but I saw a guy pull a slot drum out of the surf right in front of me this afternoon on cut pinfish. He left and I jumped in his spot and tried to catch one on a gold spoon. Nada. Hurt my feelings.....

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
You can have every slot drum in the world if I get just one drum in the 60 pound class in the deal.
Slam a big chunk of mullet side on a hook or a half a crab and toss it out. Those little reds don't even raise the heart rate.

I had a great week at Kure even with rough surf and wind out of the east in the early week. Sand fleas, fish bites tipped with a flea, cut mullet, finger mullet, and even squid produced some nice fish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I suggest heading up to Fort Macon while you are down. Out by the jetty and on if you're adventurous seems to be a good spot. For me at least when I was down 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
41 Posts
We did pull a few small sharks and a couple small spot from the surf at PKS but nothing to write home about. Except for that 8ft shark that bent my hooks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the tips. We caught two little things on Sunday. Not sure what they were. Long skinny silver guys with some tiny teeth. Yesterday was too rough and we couldn't tell what were bites and what was the rig skipping along the bottom.

Squid and finger mullet pieces seem ed to work well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
I fished Emerald Isle surf on Saturday and got absolutely pinfished to death. A whole finger mullet would last about 5 minutes with those pirahnas out there. I mean they ate the head, the tail, the whole darn thing. I don't even think the shrimp made it to the bottom. I lasted about four hours and gave up.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I spent a few hours a day on vacation down at Kure dedicated to finding me some holes. All of my prominent holes I've fished for years are gone. My rocks are still there but I don't break off in them much anymore.

My experience last week was that I could cast past pin fish for the most part.
First thing was structure though. Found a few nice big holes in easy places to get to it. Nobody fishing them. Obvious holes if you can read the surf just a little bit. I'd slide in after dark and try em out. Whiteys and croakers.

Fishing in the rocks. Black bass, sheepshead, pig fish, and spot tails.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
I fished Emerald Isle surf on Saturday and got absolutely pinfished to death. A whole finger mullet would last about 5 minutes with those pirahnas out there. I mean they ate the head, the tail, the whole darn thing. I don't even think the shrimp made it to the bottom. I lasted about four hours and gave up.
That happened to me fishing not too long ago. I went and got some tiny hooks, caught a few pinfish, snipped their fins off and hooked into some big rays on radio island. For the most part the pinifish do not eat their own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts