NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MOUNT HOLLY, N.C. — A fisherman looking to catch a catfish for dinner instead reeled in a fish that flashed its teeth and bit his knife.

Jerry Melton, 46, was fishing in the Catawba River last week when he caught what state wildlife officials later identified as a piranha, a South American carnivorous fish that lives in freshwater.

Click here for the whole story

Dave, guess you won't be swimming in freshwater either.....:D

·
Registered
334 Posts
Man that scary.............. I lived in the DC area when someone put some snake fish in the Potomac River, and many of the lakes and ponds. What a disaster! The only good thing about it was that the natural resource people in both of Maryland and Virginia posted rewards for catching and the fish. Never caught one though.

·
Registered
334 Posts
yet I got the name snakehead backwards didn't I. y'all will have to forgive me as I am a recovering stroke victim.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
yet I got the name snakehead backwards didn't I. y'all will have to forgive me as I am a recovering stroke victim.
I still don't see it. Seems like somebody has been repeatedly telling me over the last 20 years that I'm not very observant sometimes... might have been my wife - can't remember for certain:D

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
There was a Pirahana taken from Lake Rim here in Fayetteville a few years back as well. I really don't want find Snakeheads, Pirahanas, Boa Constrictors or anything else that doesn't belong here at my fishing holes. This exoctic pet thing has gotten out of hand.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
I just wonder why people buy these things. Also, why are they allowed to be sold? Maybe we need to have a background check to buy exotic things. If it comes up you are not a reliable person or have done something like this before you are not allowed to buy one.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Piranha are ILLEGAL in NC and in the US I believe but there is a huge market for illegal exotics, and this is the end result, they get too much to handle and "Freed". I also read in that article that "He pry-ed open the fishes mouth with his pocket knife and it bit down on the blade leaving an impression in the metal" now I'm not an ichthyologist but I don't believe a One pound fish(whose teeth are designed for tearing not crushing) could leave a dent in a metal knife blade.

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Weird animals and bad people. I was fishing some backwaters one hot summer day a couple of summers ago. A snake slipped off of the bank. This snake was a whitish, yellowish color, and was at least 10 feet long, no lie. The only snake I could think of that would grow that size and that color was an Anaconda. Someones pet I guess.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Depending on what style of pirahna it was (normally a red belly) I don't think that they get much bigger than 12 inches. A close cousin, the Pacu, looks exactly like the red belly but can get to the size of a medium pizza. They are plant eaters, mainly, I have worked in a petstore before and like most fish will try somehting out if it looks funny. I have had pirahna in an aquarium before, up north, and for the most part they are pretty docile. We should be more worried about them killing our native fish than eating humans. They have been known to take a chunk out of a hand that was cleaning the tank before. No matter what it was it isn't a native species and doesn't belong. I have owned many exotic animals before and stress that if you do your research first you shouldn't have to let them go before getting too big and second don't release to the wild, 90% of the time they were captive breed and know nothing else.

A sore spot for me, it only take a few to ruin it for everyone.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
That fish is no more exotic than flathead catfish, blue catfish, freshwater drum, spotted bass, white crappie, channel catfish, brown trout , rainbow trout, ect that have been stocked in various parts of NC where they are not native.

Heck there is a lake here in Asheville that has had exotic blue tilapia since 1965.

Since piranhas have been illegal in NC for years, you wonder where they got one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.