NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my kayak out this morning for a few hours to fish the Haw above the spillway at 15-501. The air temp was a bit chilly at the start (around 52 degrees) but warmed-up to about 60 degrees a few hours later. I threw a chartreuse buzzbait for a little bit and also tried a black Zoom trick worm with a single bite... otherwise couldn't seem to find any bass today. The only thing that's ever hit with any consistency for me on the Haw are the bream / shellcracker, which will kill a 1" white curly tail grub all day long. Later, I tied on a Rebel mini Pop R (bone color) and worked the shore line under some of the overhangs. I had a good time watching some of the larger shellcracker crush it... if you haven't fished top water in a while, you're missing a good time.

Looking for some local fishing buddies in the area, so send me a PM with your contact info if you want to go out sometime.

Tight lines.

Chris

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tried over there last weekend. the place for launching and landing is somehow awkward. I got some breams but did not have any luck for big shellcracker. I went all up to the first rapid and saw someone is fishing for smallies. that is all.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried over there last weekend. the place for launching and landing is somehow awkward. I got some breams but did not have any luck for big shellcracker. I went all up to the first rapid and saw someone is fishing for smallies. that is all.
Yea, the 15-501 spillway launch area is not the easiest to access. There's another spot just down the road that's much easier to launch from. Head over to Bynum Road, which is on the south side of the of the 15-501 bridge. Drive about 1/4 mile until you're almost at the Bynum Bridge, then make a right onto Bynum Beach Road. You'll see what looks like a little garden plot on the left side of the road, about 500 feet past the turn. Just past the plot is a little turn off, next to the river. You can park there and unload your canoe / kayak right next to the river. I haven't explored the area much, but at least it's easier to reach.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I live in Graham near Saxapahaw and am new to fishing in this area. I don't have a boat or kayak. Where are some good places on the Haw and otherwise that I can fish at. I like bass fishing as well as fishing with a cane pole, or using live bait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts