NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get anxious about the fall Striper fishing at Jordan. Being a total novice at chasing Ol' Line sides I'm in need of alot of rigging info. I'm planing to run two rods with umbrella rigs off of the rear of the boat. Also, I'm considering running planer boards from the side rod holders with crankbaits. Anyone have any advice on how to use the planers? Thoughts on Umbrella rigs for Jordan? Preferred Crankbaits? How to control line and lure depth? Live Bait?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I like ballooning live bait but I'm looking forward to giving the trolling thing a try too!!!!
Maybe Sniper can share some secrets...LOL

·
Registered
275 Posts
If you're just starting out, the easiest thing you can do is forget about those umbrella rigs and planer boards with crankbaits and get set up with some leadcore line for trolling bucktails. A lot less hassle and you'll probably catch more fish. But I'm no expert here.....I'm a live bait guy.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I'm gonna try "Strolling" live baits this year too...

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
If you're just starting out, the easiest thing you can do is forget about those umbrella rigs and planer boards with crankbaits and get set up with some leadcore line for trolling bucktails. A lot less hassle and you'll probably catch more fish. But I'm no expert here.....I'm a live bait guy.
I've never seen leadcore line - what is it and how much effect does it have? Can you tie knots with it or is it like wire?

Do you run the whole spool with leadcore or just a leader? Do you need a special reel or rod guides for it?

Do you use leadcore with or without a down-rigger?

What's the difference between a 1oz bucktail on leadcore and a 2oz bucktail on mono/braid?

Curious minds want to know...

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
yeah! what Jeff said! :D

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've never seen leadcore line - what is it and how much effect does it have? Can you tie knots with it or is it like wire?

Do you run the whole spool with leadcore or just a leader? Do you need a special reel or rod guides for it?

Do you use leadcore with or without a down-rigger?

What's the difference between a 1oz bucktail on leadcore and a 2oz bucktail on mono/braid?
I have some experience trolling with lead-core, it was my Father's technique of choice for trolling for Landlocked Salmon in Maine before he got into the downrigger thing.

He would use a large "arbor" style reel, kind of like a flyrod reel. This would have several "colors" of leadcore line on it with a long mono leader on the end. (Leadcore line is usually separated into different colors so you can tell how deep down you are. You'd often hear anglers say things like "Salmon! Down 4 Colors today!")

So no, you don't tie knots with the leadcore, you just tie the leader onto the end of it and use the leader to attach your bait/lure.

You typically don't use downriggers with leadcore. They are kind of two techniques to achieve the same purpose, and that is get the bait down deep. Using leadcore, you have to manually let out a LOT of line to get the bait down there, but with a downrigger you just attach the mono to the cannon-ball and down-she-goes.

My Father used leadcore his whole life and then bought a downrigger when I was a kid. Once he found out how convenient the downrigger was, he bought a few more and the leadcore line was reserved for when the salmon were REALLY biting and we wanted an extra rod out.

That is my experience with leadcore anyway, I'd be interested to hear how people do it on Jordan.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Leadcore sounds like a good choice for the beginner/occasional troller to me! I'm going to have to try it. I can set it up on one rod/reel and it's only on the boat when I want it. No downrigger in the way.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.