NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys, heading to Ocean Isle this weekend and wondering about planers. I got a couple small deep planers to fish for Spanish. I saw a lot of fish caught near Beaufort Inlet a couple of weeks ago with them. Everyone I saw had the line tied to the planer with about a 25 foot leader and had to pull last 25' of line in by hand. I was wondering if anyone had tied a line to the planer and used a release like on a yellowbird side planer for the fishing line. I would rather fight the fish all the way in instead of hand lining the last bit of line.

Thanks
James

Say a prayer for all those in the path of Katrina

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've never tried your idea but one that will usually get the job done on spanish and give you a chance at kings too is to troll a clark spoon about 3-4' behind a mann's stretch 25 or similar deep running plug. Still not a downrigger but it is an option to planers. I much prefer to plug for spanish or use live bait. In my way of thinking trolling is the least desireable way of fishing for schooling fish. Sometimes when the smaller spanish are all you are catching a piece of fresh cut bait on bottom will pick up big spanish . I believe they cruise along the bottom eating leftovers left by the smaller spanish.;) wire leaders are a no even if you are getting cut offs. Al

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I'm taxing my memory. In past I have used planers instead of downriggers. You need 50 ft. 80-100# mono rolled on line storage. Attach mono to planer. Tie knot every 10 feet(measuring device). Tie off on transon cleat at depth you want to fish. A 3ft. wire leader rigged with snap on one end-swivel on the other is needed. Attach snap to planer- to swivel attach your fishing line( whatever length you desire) with rubber band( will have experiment with proper strenght rubber band ( assortment is very cheap) Operate planer by hand. A strike will trip planer and rubber band will break allowing you to play fish. This is poor man's downrigger :) and my kind of fishing.

Good Luck! Forrest

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I have this very set-up on my boat with one difference - I use a double snap swivel; Fishing line attached to the rubber band (pass one end of the band back through the center of the other end with the line in between the loop it forms) about 30 feet above the terminal tackle, then attach the rubberband to one snap, the other snap is slipped over the mono leader on the planer. This way I don't have to pull the planer up everytime I get a bite (just attached another double snap/rubber band combo and let it slide down the mono). With the double snap attached to the mono leader above the planer, when you get a bite the rubber band will break without tripping the planer - so you can leave the planer in the water - less messing with the planer - more time fishing :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the ideas. Will try the poor mans downrigger next trip. Sinker, I used the Mann's Stretch 25 trick this weekend and caught 2 ribbonfish ( I believe ). Only had silver spoons for trailer though. Left the gold Wigl spoons at home....:( sniff sniff. Did manage to catch one Spanish on a pink megabait trolled with no additional weight. Pinky seems to save the day every trip or a least keeps me from getting skunked.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
The ribbonfish make prime king baits but I stick to something a little less aggravating to rig usually. Spanish must have been shying away for some reason. Sometimes they are down right finicky. Up and down the coast fishing was slow for them last week but it will be wide open in a few days. Try it again when they are a little more active. DON'T BE SUPRISED IF A BIG ONE HITS THE STRETCH 25. AL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.