NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Headed out yesterday evening with ****** looking to get my first ever old drum from the kayak and his first one of the season. We met up at location x after securing some fresh mullet and went to it. Neither of us have a fish finder on our kayaks so we were basically just winging it based off of a chart and a good point of reference. In the process we witnessed an awesome sunset (the first one visible in at least a week).

After initially setting up where we now believe was a little shallow we made a good decision and moved. Not long after my first cast in the new location a nice red slammed my mullet. I got him close enough to see but unfortunately he charged the boat and pulled loose. At that point I was a little bummed for losing what might have been our only one of the night. That feeling didn't last long.... I immediately hooked up with another fish and after total chaos (don't try this at night alone from a kayak) I landed my first kayak old drum.

Now it was ******'s turn to get him one. It wasn't 10 minutes after back up on the spot and his rod got slammed. A quick disconnect of his anchor and he was off to do battle with his first of the year.

Thanks ****** for being there to get me my first and congrats on yours. If you guys have any questions feel free to ask.

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
Just a question. Why don't you guys rig up a quick release anchor system with a float on it rather than stay tied together? tape a glowstick to the float so you or the other guy can find it once you've released.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a question. Why don't you guys rig up a quick release anchor system with a float on it rather than stay tied together? tape a glowstick to the float so you or the other guy can find it once you've released.
We had a quick release anchor. One anchor and 2-3 boats. Fish bites and the other angler disconnects you so you can fight the fish without having to worry about getting caught up in the anchor.
My question.. Why did I stay home. Well one more quick one, did y'all hold hands at sunset! I bet you did. Hahahaha. Congrats my boys.
Yeah why did you stay home? You could've shared the bro-mance haha

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Old news...patent pending bro...Haha. :) Glow sticks dont work for crap in the river when its choppy,
tried it quite a few times. Reflective tape is the ideal method. It just so happened to be calm enough yesterday to link up, which I actually prefer. Seems to make everything easier with less ropes in the water.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Super Sick....well done.

·
Banned
2,062 Posts
Awesome fishing. I can't imagine where you would have found yourself if your anchor had let go and allowed that fish to take you for a Nantucket sleigh ride. He (she) would still be towing you around I bet.
Where does one look for these large drum. Not specifically of course but more about water depth, ocean, inlet, river etc. I've read these large ones don't spend time in the skinny water this time of year and that they mainly migrate much unlike the drum that are slot size and smaller?

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
We unhook the anchor as soon as we hook up. It's much safer that way. Having a fish with as much strength as they have pull at crazy angles in a kayak at anchor is dangerous. They do pull you around that's for sure.

The best place to hook up with one this time of year is the Lower Neuse River. They come in to spawn. At night look for ledges in 8-20 feet of water to soak bait. During the daylight you can do the same or pound the banks in 3-6 feet with popping corks.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
Awesome job guys!!! I bet that is some serious fun out in a kayak, in the dark, hooked to a beast!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts