NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wife has a meeting next week, in plymouth, so with nothing better to do I will take a pole and fish the banks. Last time I did see one man bring in a nice catfish. Is plymouth right for shad and strippers this time of year ? Fishing off the wildlife walkways , what bait should I use? So I'll take my chair and just wish for the fish to come by. A good day to relax

·
Registered
940 Posts
Stripers and shad both might be there. 3" swim bait / jerk shad in white, white chartreuse on a 1/4 jig/weighted hook for stripers. Use a shad dart and spoon combo for shad. A double rig with jigs and curly tails also works well. This is just one approach..

·
Registered
30 Posts
I am free on Monday & Friday most every week and would love to take you out on my boat. Where, and what we will be fishing for will depend on the weather and water conditions, water being the main factor with all the rain that we've had lately. You have to pick and choose carefully right now, but I'm on top of most all options. If you're into crappie fisn'in, they are a good option too.

Reply if interested, otherwise the river is starting to produce some strippers, mostly on the small side, (stripper season doesn't open until 3/15, so no keepers yet) some scattered shad, and some white perch, but bring lots of extra tackle because bank fishing involves lots of snags on roots and stumps. Cats are also available if that's your bag. - - B

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes, the stripers are there. For proof you can look up curtis pelt's post from a few weeks ago. Additionally, I can personally tell you I slayed keeper size rock in Jamesville the first weekend of the year. Jamesville is up-river so their already moving in.

Also, I know captain Mitchell Blake of FishIBX and yes... the stripers are here.

As far as your bank fishing... It's gonna be hit or miss. Probably miss. You'll likely have better luck tossing out a bottom rig with cut bait and just relaxing. There are several peirs/boardwalks you can choose from. I'd pick the one with no cover beside the lighthouse (It's easier to cast without the cover).

Again, your best bet is to throw out a bottom rig with shad or herring cut bait. Sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery! :)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info. Someone also said if the current is strong enough, a side planer might be used. I'll have to investigate that option. Will it let me keep a lure in the middle or on ledges using a heavier rod? I'll need some practice . First I will have to locate where to buy small ones. Dicks and basspro only have the larger trolling type. Has anybody use the prowler planer. Looks like a football and light weight. Thanks again hope I catch a few

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thanks for the info. Someone also said if the current is strong enough, a side planer might be used. I'll have to investigate that option. Will it let me keep a lure in the middle or on ledges using a heavier rod? I'll need some practice . First I will have to locate where to buy small ones. Dicks and basspro only have the larger trolling type. Has anybody use the prowler planer. Looks like a football and light weight. Thanks again hope I catch a few
You won't need that. Current isn't that strong. If you're bottom rigging a 3 ounce pyramid weight will do you just fine. 20lb mono... if you were wondering what line size.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the offer bhgammon, we will only be there on Thursday for a few hours. I will wet a line near the lighthouse and take all the great advise everyone has suggested. I will buy my freah herring before I leave raleigh. My tackle box will be stocked and my wallet empty. What a great way to spend a Saturday wishing and dreaming

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.