NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys this is my first post to the website I fish Squirrel lake park in Matthews nc. I catch bass and catfish on noghtcrawlers all the time and I know where the fish are but I want to catch them on a lure. I keep trying a Texas rig with 1/4 oz sinker and I have junebug and watermelon worms. I think it's the way I'm fishing it because I never even get bites. I cast it out, wait for it to sink and then slowly reel in while giving a slight jerking action. I've caught bream on small spinnerbaits with grubs and I've also by luck caught a break on a lipless crankbait. What I'm wandering is:
1. How do I properly fish the Texas rig
2. What other lures are good for fishing this kind of pond

if you haven't been squirrel lake is a small murky pond with a pier in the middle. Most fish seem cornered by the feeder because it is shady in the afternoon and there is a tree by the water for cover

thank you guys for the help馃悷

Registered
If you can cast it, try weightless zoom utail worms. pumpkinseeds work best for me. Cast out and let it fall to the bottom, watch the line. If it twitches or starts to pull out then reel up the slack and slam the hook and hold on. If not give it a twitch, reel a few times, and let it fall again. Very slow and subtle presentation that bass of all sizes love. You can fish the texas rig the same way but it falls quicker.

Registered
Rebel crickhopper. 3/32oz w/#14 treble hooks only. Any bigger wont work there. I prefer the green w/orange bottom (firetiger). Make sure you crush the barbs and bring pliers since the hooks bend easy. Medium to medium/slow retrieve.

Registered
this time of year SLOW and easy. I toss it in let it drop count to ten twitch twitch lift rod and reel in the slack, repeat till at the shore. Sometimes they will grab on the fall, sometimes on initial fall and sometimes when its sitting. Let the take it a few times and once ya see line tighten rip it. If ya see line go way slack reel in slow to catch up and rip. I like Senkos and trick worms.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.