NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a public pond in Asheville that is full of aquatic weeds. Gets in the way of fishing.

So would contacting the parks folks about the weed problem be a good idea or not?

Do you folks fish any areas with tons of aquatic vegitation? Is it really a bad thing?

I just don't like my lures being fouled up on every cast.

·
Registered
17,058 Posts
Sometimes its better to deal with the weeds

Depends on the lake/pond itself and the type of aquatics in the area, is it a pond, (hole in the ground) or does it have water running in and out thru a dam. Killing off grass and things in a large body of water could hinder aquatic life down stream.

Personnally if its that bad most people won't mess with it, get a rat or a mouse and fish for bass on topwater.

Not sure how deep or anything else specific on the pond.

·
Registered
512 Posts
If the weed is an identified aquatic invasive species, then there is a program run by the Department of Environment and Natural Resources that may be of assistance. The first step would be getting the weed identified. You might try contacting your local office of the Cooperative Extension Service as a first step: North Carolina Cooperative Extension: Home

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I contacted the local NCWRC biologist and the city of Asheville.

They will look into it.

The too many weeds are making it easy for the shellcrackers to hide from the largemouths and neither are big from what I have encountered so far. It's about a 3 acre pond (not real deep either) and owned by the city of Asheville.

I'm assuming (and this might be bad) that thinning out the weeds might make it easier for the largemouths to find and prey on the shellcrackers (redears).

Is this a stupid assumption?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I have a small pond(hole in the ground) in my backyard. Its a little bigger than a baseball field and probly about 15ft deep. It has alot of grass making fishing in it with certain baits a challenge. Is there any affordable way to get rid of the leaves?

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
When I was a kid. My Uncles would run a line across Grandpa Pruetts old farm pond and pull an old bedspring ( burned matress) back and forth across the pond and drag out the algae and weeds.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Grass And Bass Go Together Like A Hand In A Glove. Pick Up Any Bass Mag Or Watch The Pros On Tv, They Say The Same Thing. You Just Have To Change Tactics And Fish Baits That Don't Hang Up So Bad. Try Weedless Worms, Fish Rattle Baits Just Above The Tops Of Grass Even Ripping It Throuh He Grass.
Just Keep Experiminting Until You Find What Works.
Good Luck
James

·
Registered
512 Posts
Make sure you get the weed identified before deciding on a treatment option (grass carp included). Otherwise, you might make an expensive mistake. Again, Cooperative Extension can help.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The city of Asheville owns the pond and is investigating. I merely suggested they look into it and they are.

Grass might be good for bass but it's not good when it's so extensive that its allowing the forage fish to hide from the bass.

Then the bass can't eat the forage fish and get big.

The bass in this pond are not overly numerous nor big.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.