NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone could point me to some decent ponds in the Apex/Cary area to fish with a canoe. I use to fish the pond at Cisco off Davis Drive quite a bit but they drained it for 540 construction. Stinks because it had a lot of lunkers!

I can't seem to find any off the beaten path anymore. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've taken my kayak to the Weaver Creek branch at Jordan several times lately, kinda fond of that area. It's a no-motor zone, so it doesn't get crowded. As for smaller bodies of water, all I've fished has been Bond Lake. Caught several small fish, but nothing big. I've heard there are some bigguns out there.

Keep me posted... I'd love to hear about more spots.
Lefty

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Lefty. I live pretty close to Bond Park and never think of going there, I'll have to give that a try some time. I actually remember seeing some nice pictures at their dock house several years ago.

My brother just bought a new jon boat and we go to Jordan quite a bit, but I miss some good pond fishing for bass.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Bass Lake will be good in a couple of years for Bass. The Catfish are starting to get some size to them and someone told me they caught some nice Crappie there. I haven't seen any big Bass yet.
It is down Bass Lake Rd. just off of Holly Springs Rd.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I drive past Bass lake Rd on the way to my son's soccer field... Always been intrigued by that street sign...

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I'll have to keep Bass Lake in mind. That should be easy to remember.

I tried Bond Lake after work tonight, missed one good strike and saw a massive swirl, had to have been a 10+ fish, not sure if it was a carp or bass though, didn't get a good look at it.

·
Premium Member
6,642 Posts
I was referred to a couple of ponds at a little office complex out off Green Level Rd West once when I was going to be spending several hours at Green Hope High School. Apparently the place has been in various states of occupied and unoccupied over the years. I stopped by but it did appear to be occupied and signs on the pond said fishing by permit only. If you're in that neighborhood it might not hurt to stop & ask the current tenants about it. Here's a map:

Google Maps

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jeff, I actually have fished here too several years ago. The big pond in the back appeared to be privately owned at the time but I was young and noone appeared to be home so we fished it anyway :). Seemed like we caught bass on almost every cast tossing plastic worms but they were all small. This was probably 10 years ago though so probably some nice ones in there now.

A buddy of mine caught what I remember to be about a 6 or 7 pounder out of the small pond in front, which was probably also 10 years ago. I totally forgot about these ponds, might have to try them out soon. Thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Try Horten's Pond ..
It's off Horten Pond Rd .. off Hwy 751 .. pulled some nice bass out .. lot's of sunken stumps .. jordan lake nc - Google Maps
That's good to know. I have fished it a few times several years ago but did not do very well there. I have caught some jacks in there years ago. Don't know if they are still in there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.