NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We used poppers back home to find trout and reds in the Marshes. Anyone up here use them? I seem to recall an article about them a long time ago.. cna't remember what mag it was in.

We always used live shrimp with the tail pinched off. Hook them backwards and off you go. Takign the taill off helps keep the shrimp from fanning it out and causing him to twirl during retreive.

Rye

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
I use poppers for Reds (see attached photo), never caught any trout on them though (but that may be because I don't target trout with them).

On a different but related note, for live shrimp trout fishing I use a float, the kind that slides freely on your line above the swivel so you can reel the line all the way in to just above the swivel. I use a bobber stopper which is adjustable and will easily pass through the rod eyes. This makes it easy fish in depths from 4 feet to 30 feet or more by just sliding the bobber stopper.

I break off the horn and put the hook just below it from the bottom and push through the top. This is the toughest spot on the shrimp and won't kill it but it will stay hooked. This works well on a live shrimp float rig (as described in paragraph above).

Attachments

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've caught a few reds and trout both on poppers and reds but not enough to say I'm good at it. Reds can be a lot of fun if you are up in the shallows and they are hungry. I've had the best luck with trout on poppers at the edges of channels thru grass flats in Texas. Normally the best times were when there was an abundance of shrimp in an area.
As for popping floats I have used the popping floats, plastic bubbles, lemon juice plastic lemons and rattling rigs such as the Mansfield Mauler or Cajun Thunder. My experiences with these are that they will increase your catch whether you are using jigs or live bait, especially school trout. However when stalking larger trout and reds I have better luck letting a good size pinfish or pigfish do all of the calling. ;) AL

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was taught that you can't use the same popper set up for trout and for Reds. Apparently Trout are a lot more skiddish of the wire leader poppers so we made mono leaders that tied onto a swivel under the popping cork. For reds we could use premade metal leader poppers.

Are you using the wire ones or making mono ones? If using the wire, this oculd be the reason for lack of trout?

I've tried using pinfish many times as they are always abundant and easy for the kids to catch. However, I've only caught sharks with them :(
We do trap them and use them for Grouper bait too though, and have had much success in doing that.

Maybe here someone here can identify this bait fish for me.

When I first moved to NC I fished the Atlantic Beach bridge abuttment often. On the Chart House side, I coudl catch a bait fish that looked very much like a ballyhoo. I was told by an old timer it wasn't a Ballyhoo, but somthign else, can't remember what it was. They were almost Identical though. Point being I caught some very nice trout fishing those bait fish in the channel near the bridge. I wish I could find a better place to catch them as I lost two nets catching bait there.

Rye.

·
Registered
523 Posts
I mentioned popping corks in another post,l can't find it right now though. I have been following the Oh Boy Oberta Redfish Cup Tournament on OLN. One of the teams on the circuit uses live bait, jigs/bucktails and/or soft plastics and Gulp baits with popping corks and does real well with the reds. What I found interesting was that they were also picking up flounder. The statement was made that anything that chases shrimp with come after a popping cork rig. Supposedly, the "popping" imitates the underwater sounds made by a large school of shrimp (do shrimp swim in schools or are they called something else?). I plan to use the popping corks this summer to target flounder. I might even try Hampsteads "gulps" again. Can you loan $6 or $7, Mike.:D

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Ah - I was in my usual state of confusion. :eek: When Rye said poppers, I thought he meant the lures we make out of cork like the one in the picture in my first post of this thread. I wasn't thinking of a popping cork rig which is a whole different animal, sorry.

Yes, I've caught reds and trout on popping cork rigs. I use a flurocarbon leader. When using live shrimp on those type rigs, I use a dual hook with a plastic ring. The ring slips over the horn of the shrimp and the two hooks hug the sides of the shrimp. This allows the shrimp to stay alive until something eats it. I've caught flounder on them too.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
In my opinion the best float on the market for fishing live shrimp is the Mansfield Mauler. They make a clicking sound similar to shrimp. If you can't find them they are easy to make . To make one you need 10" of #9 wire, 2 #5 or #7 swivels 4 plastic beads and 1 2 1/2" x 3/4" slip float with a plastic line guide. To make it up: twist on a swivel, load the wire with 2 beads, the float and 2 more beads. Two inches from the loose end of the wire make a bend and slide the remaining swivel down to the bend and twist it on. Break off the tag ends of the wire instead of cutting them so it won't leave a sharp edge to cut you later. The finished product is 6" long and will click loudly when jigged. Nothing says you couln't put rattlers on a popping cork in the same manner. AL

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the idea Sinker..

I am going to give them a shot this summer. I haven't heard of using two hooks and a plastic ring before. Thats a new one for me.

Rye.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ran out of these dual hook with ring live shrimp hooks a year ago and have not been able to find any more. Where are you buying them? They work great for live shrimp!!! I want some more!
Andy

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Andy,

Yes they are great - best thing for live shrimp if you are dragging them (I use a different set up under a bobber type float). I buy them at Tex's Tackle. I think there is only one company that makes them but I can't remember the name. They come 2 in a pack and cost $4.00. If you can't find them locally or online, let me know and I'll pick some up for you at Tex's

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Hampstead!

I've never seen those before. I can't imagine they work with smaller shrimp LOL.

I will look around home and see if I can find some. Thanks again!

rye

·
Registered
14,639 Posts
Oops - I did it again - posted a picture of terminal gear without a reference object for sizing, sorry. Those are either #2 or #4 hooks - The shrimp is wedged between the hooks, the little clip just even with the start of curve in the hooks and the ring is what holds the shrimp on the rig. Any shrimp too small for that would probably not attract what you wanted anyway.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I hear single hooks only with live shrimp in Florida. Any restrictions in NC? Thanks for the offer to pick some up. I'll let you know. Great thread guys! Keep em coming!
Andy

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.