NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made the "ride" south to Swanquarter this morning hoping for a change of pace. Roanoke Sound hasn't been very friendly since Arthur! As usual, the forecast missed the wind by +10. It did settle down for about a hour before the rain popped up all around us. We got started by catching 6 trout all on Z-Man paddle tails, all 6 were just short. While we were working around a point I looked ahead about 100 yards and saw bait skying and pushing. As I got closer I could see what had them in a frenzy. I usually have a topwater tied on a rod but, not this morning. I had a good friend with me that doesn't have a whole lot of fishing "experience" so there was a popping cork on my "extra" rod for him to use this morning. Anyway, I eased up closer (casting distance) and could see reds rolling and boiling on the bait. I sent a popping cork with a pink DOA shrimp into the ruckus. I made one "pop" and my cork came skying out of the water! Cork hit the water and I popped it again, this time it disappeared. Landed that fish, a 20" trout. Duane sent his popping cork in there with a gold DOA shrimp and put a 25" red in the boat. Man it was game on, fish were busting and chasing bait back and forth from end of the boat to the other. My 2nd cast, another 24" red crushed it! I grabbed another rod with a gold Aqua dream spoon on it. As soon as it hit the water I watched 3 reds fight for it, another 26" red landed and released. Duane released another 25" red before they finally spooked. We moved down to the next grassy point. By this time the rain set in and I made up my mind to call it a morning. Duane tried the popping cork out 1 more time while I got the gear squared away for our ride in. Only fitting a 16" flounder smoked the DOA shrimp. Had a great morning even though it was cut short. I had a small part in a good friend catching his first red, trout and flounder!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Saweeeeeeetttttt....Sounds awesome.

Reactions: TakeDown

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
Not so fortunate on this end. Bait fish were all over the place, trout in thick, but we had nothing for them. I managed to boat one 17" trout and an undersized trout/flounder. Regardless it was a blast being out on the water

1 - 9 of 9 Posts