NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the supposed opening of trout season ahead I have an obx trip planned. My question is. Popping Cork or just a plain jig head. I've never used the cork but its All new water too me. So I was thinking it may pay off.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I do both, I keep at least one popper in the water while I toss a jig. I reach over and give it a pop or two, move it around while I work the area with a jig etc. I use a scented bait or live bait under the popper. Sometimes when I get lazy I put a few poppers out and sit and work them rather than toss lures.. Ive caught more and bigger fish on poppers than anything but that might be my lack of skills with lures..LOL

·
Registered
63 Posts
Even though I don't really like fishing with popping corks, I always seem to end up fishing with one because it consistently catches fish. This spring I switched from the gulp shrimp to the Zman shrimp which has a much longer life, also the bait is made to rig weedless so I fill the hollow part of the bait up with Procure. Works everytime.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Yes. Set it out behind the boat and put it in a holder as you continue to fish. With even very little wind and waves it will still pop along.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts
How often do y'all pop the cork?
Warm water: Two pops pause 2-3 seconds pop pause 2-3 seconds two pops.....

Cool water: pop, pause 10 seconds pop pause 10 seconds.....

Another tactic is to cast it up current and allow the tide or wind to drift it down a bank. I catch a lot of fish this way. No popping required.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Letting the the tide carry it along the grass line is how I caught my first over slot red. To me, a complete beginner, the moving water was like a trout stream and the cork/shrimp combo was basically a strike indicator/nymph on steroids. Kept the bait in the strike zone on a dead drift. Fish on!

·
Registered
27 Posts
What depth do you guys normal rig for popping corks. Do you typical work grass lines with popping corks? Thanks

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey guys since its still a live. I seen a video today where they nose hooked gulp shrimp with a trebel hook. That would have too work great. Especially with it falling so slow. What about a wacky rig?. That would be a natural shrimp motion. Also is flour needed with this technique. Thx everyone!

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
Adding about a foot of stiff mono(30# - 50#) to the top of the rig helps prevent braid from twisting around the cork when you cast.

I bought a few with flexible titanium wire instead of a the stiff brass or stainless wire. Since I don't use popping corks that often I can't really say if they produce as well, but I can tell you they don't get bent out of shape and the wire don't break. Had a Billy Bay that had been straightened several times break on a hookset .... lost a potential world record redfish because of it. (OK, so maybe it was a slot, or a little trout, or a blue, but I'll never know.)

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Older thread here but I bought a Tsunami popping cork/shrimp combo today with flouro leader. I opened it up and the leader is like 6 foot long lol! How are you supposed to throw a popping cork with shrimp with a 6' leader?? Those Chinese must not be too familiar with popping cork technique ha ha.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts