NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new river map shows a class III rapid below bridle Creek. Is there a portage around it? I went through there years ago and remember some kind of chute to the left that we went through but I'm not willing to risk rods/reels on that sort of adventure now.

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
136 Posts
I am not certain, but I cannot think of an easy portage around it. It may be possible though. Someone else may know for sure though. I have always just floated through it, but i myself have regretted going through it. Not due to losing fishing gear but from ruining a phone and camera.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The first rapid you come to as t the river turns away from Battleground Road is called Molly Osborne Shoals. Be on the watch for a hydraulic at the last drop. Best line used to be river right. With the flow as low as it is, be prepared for lots of maneuvering and dragging. The next rapid, Penitentiary Shoals, is the one you are asking about. There is no portage but you should be able to walk your yak on river right around the island. Before you go, try and find out if the river is full of those slimy grass masses. Makes anything but top water a real pain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey - thanks guys.
We went through there yesterday. As Finstalker outlined, the first wasn't much of a deal except for the "maneuvering and dragging". We did walk around the second on the right hand side. I think with more water in the river you could about float through that right hand branch. It was about a 50 yard walk and not too bad considering the slick, round river rocks. A canoe with two guys in it went through the "chute" on the left just after we got through and it really didn't look too bad (not recommending anyone ignore the risks), but the river is low.

There wasn't a lot of grass for the first couple of miles although it was a little aggravating. Parts of the second half of the float were just thick with the stuff (slower water?); impossible to fish.

That lower section also was difficult because of the low water. The rock ledges that run just below the surface had to be worked around and if you didn't read the water carefully, you got hung up. And there are a lot of ledges that seem to run the width of the river. It seemed like miles and miles and miles.

Lee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts