NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of taking the boys to Myrtle for a couple of days between Christmas and New Years....Nice hotel with indoor pool, indoor lazy river, and hot breakfast for $55 a night. Been there before, know it's nice.

I DON'T want to do all the $$$ attractions....

I'm thinking of crossing the border back into NC and doing some fishing. I don't get a chance to catch much saltwater fish. We will be boatless, so banks and piers.

Can anyone suggest bank/pier fishing opportunities in lower NC, say the Calabash / Shallotte area that might produce a few drum/specs?

Or are we wasting time fishing that time of year?

PM if you don't want to share a spot with the whole world. We'll be in on Sat and out on Tues, so I don't think we'll damage anyplace too badly.... Thanks for anything you can share.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
Ocean Isle that time of year will produce pups and trout. By the Ocean Isle Fishing Center there is a boat ramp. Park in the lot and walk down to your left (if facing the water from the ramp) and there is a small creek mouth. I've caught quite a few trout and some pups at the mouth there. Working soft plastics and Mirrolures have been the best producers for me there. Also, most of the ICW side beach developments with water access through canals. You can park at the end of those roads and fish the canals. They are deep and hold trout. There are several of them and they all hold fish, mainly specs. I'm sorry I don't have road names to give you as I don't go there but once or twice a year. I am adding a couple of screen shots to show the area I am talking about. The first one shows the creek mouth and the second show the canals. There are places in the canal system to park that won't cause you to be trespassing. Water resources Natural environment Map Urban design Vegetation
Circuit component Urban design Computer hardware Audio equipment Grille

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts
To add to what Trigger has listed, you can also cross over the Ocean Isle Beach bridge and proceed to the end of the road, turn left and go down a couple of miles and have two options available to you. First is a fairly new fishing "dock" open to the public on the ICW, or you can fish the surf, both just a few minutes apart. Both at the opening of the Shallotte River.
There is a fishing dock at the Sunset Beach bridge at the public boat ramp. Another to try is ICW access next to public boat ramp on Brick Landing Rd in Shallotte. This has roughly 100' of ICW beach access

·
Red X Angler
1,060 Posts

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all.... Sounds like it's worth it to fish.

Unfortunately, my plans changed when I was told yesterday afternoon that my position is being eliminated on 12/31. I won't be travelling or taking vacation in Dec. Not looking for sympathy, I'm getting a fair severance package, and I should find work pretty quickly, but when things are unsure... you don't spend any money you don't have to.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.