NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cousin Rick and I hit SW Park today, hoping to find some fish willing to eat after the first big front of this fall season. Temp was 38f when we hit the water at seven, and we headed out to a right turn arm of this local flow to fish some good wood and points there. I got the first one on my first cast in some standing timber, with a mag finesse in gp color, a decent two pounder. Heading back into this arm we fished some stumps in around five feet of water, and I got one around four on the mag finesse. Rick scored his first fish soon after, a nice four + that hit a foxy shad crank. He decided to stick with his cranks for most of the day, looking for the "BIG" bite. I decided to dance with the speedcraw and mag finesse, and weed out the dinks for him, lol! Bite slowed, and I convinced him to to go to a hump I know that has produced well for me in the past.
On the way, I did catch a decent one pound fish on a sexy shad FF Shad, only bite I had on the crank. I had a feeling the bank bite would be tough ( proved to be correct), so we burned it up for the hump, only to have to wait while two others fished it.
It was worth the wait.
I caught several fish there, most were shorts, but four were around one to two pounds, mainly on the c rigged speedcraw. Rick got one on a fluttering shad spoon, but nothing on his cranks. Saw Surfrider and Bleedingblue there, conversed a bit, but Rick was getting somewhat frustrated with the wind blowing us around in that piece of a tin can rental boat, so we left the hump to our friends, and moved on back towards the dock, fishing wood and points as we went.
I got two more on the speedcraw, but Rick kept striking out on the cranks. He finally turned to a Culprit worm, and promptly lost a good fish in a tree in Wall Creek. She did the up and around every limb on the tree, and hung him up. The wind finally got the best of us, and we were beat, so we headed for home. I got 12 to Rick's two, but his biggest was slightly larger than mine. All told, of the 14, seven would have kept. I believe I could have caught more off that hump, but that wind got us frustrated, and we've all been there. Still, good day with my cousin, who is moving to Colorado next week. Says there is a great trout river two blocks from his new home there. Guess he'll be buying a fly rod soon..
Pics of the two biggest.

Water Outerwear Sky People in nature Gesture
Water Vertebrate Boat Watercraft Lake

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
Was good to see you guys, Jerry. Yes, the wind was blowing out there a good bit. The wind actually picked up after you guys left the hump (I tend to think of it as a submerged point, but anyway...) but so did the fishing. We were working the area in the typical way that produces and getting nothing but bream nibbles, till I picked up a couple fish by throwing out toward the end of the point in the direction of the main lake. Pulling the C-rig up that rock slope in that one spot, I got bit for 3 in a row. We stayed in that spot, ended up anchoring up and just casting from there. Saved my troller battery a lot of juice.

Water Sky Cloud Lake Fish
Water Sky Lake Outdoor recreation Tree
Water Sky Vertebrate Goggles Sunglasses

We managed to get into what must have been a school or maybe we were getting packs of moving bass coming in and going out, as we caught a large handful of fish in that same area in spurts of action over a couple hours. Really turned into a good day, surprisingly good considering the post-front weather. Andrew caught two 4+ fish (one looked closer to 5 but my scale was acting wonky, may need a new battery) in addition to several other keepers and buck bass. They hit a variety of baits... Andrew did well getting out of his C-rig dry spell with a vengeance, and I got a couple on swimbait, swim jig, and then later after we left there based on a hunch that Andrew had on a shoreline to try, I picked up a few more from stumps and brush on T-rig worm.

One of those magic days that just went better than the weather would have predicted. :D

Water temp: 70
Lake level still down 1.5 to 2 feet
Clarity not bad for RR, about 2 feet visibility, maybe a bit more on main lake

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Good to see you and your cousin Jerry and glad you had a decent trip.

If you had told me on Friday after seeing the forecast that we could boat over 20 fish with 2 over 4 and several more over 2, i'd have called you a liar. Truly one of those magical days that make fishing so great. It was kinda funny on that hump that about every time we would think it was done we would catch another fish. When I caught the first big fish, I was about to suggest leaving, glad I didn't. Sam should get an assist on the first big one. The fish ran into the buoy and under his line. He got everything untangled and then netted the fish. Anyway, great day and always a treat to just fish and not have to run the boat.

One more anecdote. We watched a guy in a pontoon with two little girls in it run right past the buoys and under the bridge without even slowing down. Drove out of sight down the electric side. When he finally came back we flagged him down and told him he couldn't run there. Acted like he could have cared less. People ain't got no sense.

·
Registered
4,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We saw him too. And he wasn't the only one. My brother and his son saw a bass boat earlier in the day come under the bridge and went out of sight toward Wall Creek, then come back out. Said he didn't even slow down as he exited.
Like you say, some people have zero respect, like the two we told y'all about, that said something when we came out from under the bridge about us passing near where he cast. He had the entire bridge area blocked, and we didn't come near him anyway. We took care of that situation quickly. We are all out there to have fun, no need for that kind of stupidity. There's plenty of room there.
But as for the fish there, Rick's gout had flared up, and fighting the heavy breeze made it worse. Plus, he doesn't like to fish a c rig, calls it "dragging a worm", lol! No question in my mind I left them biting, and I was certain you boys would get into them. Those rental boats are very uncomfortable, and I was so sore when I got home I stood in a hot shower for 15 or 20 minutes. I need a swivel seat to be really comfortable, not as young as I used to be.
But that area usually produces, and we saw early on the bank beating technique wasn't working. Rick had done well lately there on cranks, and when he got the 4+, that set the tone for him, and he's so hard headed he refused to join me in the "drag a c rig".lol
ps Sam, it is a hump, saw it before the lake had filled up.

·
Red X Angler
3,788 Posts
I have seen it too, on satellite photos. It's shaped like a submerged point, from the riprap out toward the main lake, but it's just semantics either way. I refer to it the way I do because it helps me think of how I fish it and to talk about either side or the end of it. But we can call it a hump if you like. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.