NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had any issues with their power pole? Would you recommend anything? Thinking of putting one on my flats boat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My only issue is I only have 1 on my boat! Like Trigger said, can't imagine fishing without one now, I will be adding a second as soon as funds allow.

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
I just bought a 10 foot model. I'm upgrading from a 6 foot. I'll be doing the installation myself. My 6 foot was already on the boat when I bought it. Dave Stewart at Minnessott Beach Bait and Tackle is an authorized dealer and can do installs.

I have a 17 foot deep v hull. It's a heavy boat. Any idea which model power pole would work best for me?
I would go with at least an 8 foot model but a 10 would be better and there's not that much difference in price. My 6 served me well for chasing drum, but some of my trout and stripers holes it left me having to use the anchor.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I don't want to start a Talon vs. Power Pole war thread, but you should look at the Minn-Kota Talon, which is about the only alternative available. Both units have pros and cons. I think there's a new Talon model out that will reach 12'. My dad had the Talon and we loved it. I'm saving up for one.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't own one, but everyone that I know that does loves them! Speaking as a frequent bass tournament co-angler, I hate to draw guys that have them, as they restrict my casting from the back deck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the 8' model and I will say this, it really won't hold that well in much over 5' of water if there is any current / wind at all. I would get the 10'

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Don't know how I ever caught fish without a Power Pole or trolling motor. ........
Make sure to get the shrink wrap that covers the fiberglass rod.
You'ii thank me, later. ...... ICM

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just bought a 10 foot model. I'm upgrading from a 6 foot. I'll be doing the installation myself.
Let me know how that goes. I. Thinking of doing the same, but results could be disasterous based on the level of my idiocy at any given time...

·
Registered
6,366 Posts
Let me know how that goes. I. Thinking of doing the same, but results could be disasterous based on the level of my idiocy at any given time...
It'll be a piece of cake. I'll unbolt the 6 foot model, and bolt the 10 foot in its place. Remove the 2 wires and hydraulic hose from the old and install the new. The hard part for me is already done (drilling holes in my boat). If I was starting from scratch I would skip the hole in the boat part and buy a mount from power pole that will allow you to attach the pole to your engine bracket.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts