NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Abu Garcia 6500 bait caster that I would like to spool up with 65 lb Power Pro braid for musky fishing.

Will the Power Pro spin on my reel or should I put a strip of tape down first?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Easiest way is to put a couple of turns of electrical tape on the center of the spool and it's not going to have an effect on the the amount of 65 pound Power Pro the reel will hold.

My concern is the 65 pound Power Pro on a 6500. It's heck on the levelwind and spool shaft if you don't break off correctly.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
To avoid the residue, wrap some "teflon" (thread seal) tape around the spools a few times -- cover the width of the spool, although that may be a bit overkill, it doesn't add bulk and reduce line capacity.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
What exactly do you mean?

Thanks
some people have a bad habit of pulling against the spool to pop the line when they get hung up. Doing so with 65lb braid can bend the spool or damage the levelwind.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
A 6500 will hold 300 yards of 30 pound power pro. It's mainly what I use in the surf even for the large drum.
I have 50 pound braid on a few 7000's.

The pitfall to going large line whether braid or mono is casting. It kills the cast.
I can put 30 pound braid with an 11 stick to the point you'll miss the splash down half the time because you aren't looking out far enough. 50 pound braid, you see it most every time. I'm using hopped reels of course.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Always tape the spool when going on directly with braid. Never break off by pulling against the spool.

I can't argue with not wanting a mono backing but it works fine and will become necessary if you break off a coup[le of times or cut out a backlash.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Keep in mind a 6500 is only running around 17 pounds of drag and that' is totally dependent on the drag washers and what shape they are in. 65 pound is overkill for the reel itself.

I've caught red drum in the surf up to 50 pounds and you have tide and surf working against you on 30 pound braid on a 6500 no problem.
I've had a ray big as a truck hood on the line for almost 2 hours on 30 pound braid. No problem.
Sharks in the 80 pound class on 30 pound braid.
All from the surf.

You are sitting there with all that line strength and not much drag. A big fish is going to pull drag. You aren't going to stop it with the thumb unless you want a quarter size blister on the thumb or worse a deep cut on the thumb pad.

Only way around that is with a leather thumb mit.

There aint much I won't go after with 30 pound braid with a 6500.

Always match your line to the reel, not the fish.
Case in point. You don't drag in 600 pound marlin with 1000 pound test. You don't even use 600 pound test. A 100 pound shark doesn't require 100 pound line. There is little to no reason to exceed the drag capability of a reel by much in line test. 50 pound on a 7000 is overkill. If it's abrasion resistance you are looking for you can take 30 pound braid and top shot it with 15 feet of a quality 50 pound mono leader.
Line overkill is expensive and the drag system is going to slip well before you reach the line weight rating anyhow.

I build my shark leaders with components rated at 400 pound test. That 400 pound test leader is tied to a 50 pound main line.

Utilize the drag system on reels. It's how you land big fish. If the fish wants to run, let him. On a 6500 with 30 pound braid, you have 300 yards of line to play the fish. If you need more than that, you came to a gun fight with a knife to begin with. Not because you need bigger line but because you need more line.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Always tape the spool when going on directly with braid. Never break off by pulling against the spool.

I can't argue with not wanting a mono backing but it works fine and will become necessary if you break off a coup[le of times or cut out a backlash.

Darrell
Cut out backlashes? Can I emphasize practice? ;)
Man I cast more in a hay field than I do the ocean. Technique,and timing are crucial. Getting the reel properly set up mandatory.
Stuff you do before you go fishing.

A hay field to a surf fisherman is like a driving range is to a golfer.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
There is a difference between casting in the hayfield and the sand than there is around the banks of a farm pond or a lake with strategically low hinging limbs that have tendency to jump down in front of you.
I realize a 6500 would be over kill but backlashes do happen. I may not be up to your standards but I am sure sometime over the years you have had FUBAR moments.

Darrell

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Fubar moments? Not since I started casting in the hay field on a regular basis. Everything I have is from hot to really hot. If I didn't stay up on my casting I probably would fubar right much. My best friend and fishing partner was terrified of my reels for a long time. He wouldn't pick up one ad throw it for nothing. Now I got him on the program and he does better than I do consistently. We also do a lot of night fishing in total darkness on the beach. Having the timing is critical there. You listen to the high pitch of the ceramic bearings. You know when to thumb it by sound.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
The Power Pro says the 65 lb is equivalent to 16 lb mono.
Drumrunner, the reason some people over kill line on a reel(ex 50 powerpro on my Lews speed spool for buzzers) is strength and what I am meaning is even though the reel doesn't have 50 lbs drag you have the smaller diameter plus if a fish wraps you up on a stump he isn't likely to come off.

·
Red X Angler
11,230 Posts
Good point Mack, I have spent so much of my time fishing for LMB in the worst tangles of trees limbs, stumps or rocks that I had a hard time adjusting to fishing inshore. I never worried much about the distance that I could cast as much as trying to thread the needle in a lay-down. When I started using braid one of the first application a used it for was T-Rig worms in heavy structure. I guess it is apples and oranges when talking about the surf.

Darrell

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
Interesting stuff here. I don't think there's anything swimming in the surf except for a shark that I can't handle on my relatively small Calcutta 250 loaded with 30 pound braid. At least I haven't run across anything yet.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.