NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, the power trim went out on my 1997 Johnson 200 horse on the 4th of July. The motor was shot, so I replaced it and filled the reservoir back up with fluid and everything was working great. However the next time I used it, the motor would trim down but not up. I can hear the relay clicking, but nothing happens. I've also tried swapping the relays for up and a down, but it still won't trim up. I'm thinking there's a limit switch somewhere that prevents it from trimming up too far, but I can't find anything like that. There is a trim position lever to tell the gauge what position it's at, but from what I've read that's all it does. I really don't want to buy a new one of those because they're about a hundred bucks. Can someone help me figure this out? I've tried looking through other boating forums and they just tell me to mess with the relays, which I've already done.

·
Banned
1,875 Posts
Always replace both relays. You can test it by jumping the green wire to the positive battery post and blue to the negative post. Then reverse them for the other direction. Replace both relays.

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.