NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spooled up 2 reels last nite with PowerPro. We're gonna test drive it tomorrow during the Cub Scout Fishing Derby.

It's the second time I've deviated from Mono. I used some spiderwire when it first out for some offshore trolling. I didn't like the 'no-stretch'. Even with drag set light, I had a couple rigs snap as soon as they were hit. I started using a 50-100' mono 'shock absorber' leader and it was fine after that.

Because our reels are put away more than they're used, the mono develops terrible line memory (coils). This causes a lot of wind knots and loops around the rod tips, etc, etc. I'm hoping this is less of a problem with this braided stuff.

I have also taken to using a truly ultralight rig with a 5 foot rod. I hoping I can regain some casting distance.

Anybody a fan of this stuff? Anybody think they wasted their $?

p.s.
It's the tackle monkey's fault, PowerPro's on sale at Dick's too.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Aw come on now.... easy on the monkey...

Personnally I dont use braids, too stiff and when they mess up on the spool,, it's cut cut cut,, there is no fixing it. On smaller reels, I think it'd be ok.

I like the yozuri hybrid line and also Ande backcountry line, those two are pretty tough and last a good while on the spool.

Hey, good luck tommorrow with all them youngin's!! Hope the weather holds for you guys.

If we go up tommorrow, we'll swing by and say hello.... havent decided if I want to help work on my neighbor's boats or run mine... still undecided. Weather's not looking to good "again"... so no offshore run for us.

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
I've switched all my inshore/nearshore rigs to PowerPro except my light trolling gear. The stuff is great. Ultra-sensitive - you will feel the flounder as he mouths and scales your bait - you will feel the Trout as he lightly picks up the bait and holds it in his mouth. I have had no problems with tangles - it is less likely to bird's nest on ya and the stuff is tough. But you do have to learn to lighten up on the hook-set because there is no stretch - so when you tug, all of it goes right to the hook and right away. So if you give it a "Bill Dance made for TV" hook set, you will likely have an empty hook and the fish will have a sore mouth. I'm with Dave on the "when it gets messed up comment" - so I wouldn't hand it to a young kid or a newbie fisherman.

Offshore I use it for Bottom Fishing - the grouper is less likely to get back in his hole because there is no strecth. Plus the stuff is TOUGH and holds up better than mono when draged across the rocks and wrecks. I don't use it for trolling though - too stiff.

The other downside is that it is slippery - so you need to take extra care with knots and add extra wraps. I usually tie 5-10 feet of flurocarbon on the end for connecting and easy changing of terminal gear. It's also expensive but you don't have to change it as often as mono.

Other advantages are you can spool more of it cause it's so thin and it casts further.

I use Yozuri Hybrid on my offshore sight casting rigs, mono on the trolling rigs.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Pros and Cons

I first learned about Power Pro while fishing in FL with my cousin. He uses it on his spinning rigs for snook and gator trout. I spooled up most of my spinning reels with it and I like the sensativity I get with braid along with the increased spool capacity. I spooled up two new Cabo PT baitcasters with PP and was still in the fine adjustment stage of setting the reel when I got a backlash. It was so bad and deep into the spool that I had to sit down on the front deck and hack it out. In about 20 minutes I had $25 worth of little six inch pieces all over the deck of my boat. I could not believe how deep and tight the backlash went. I have used baitcasters for years and am an accomplished caster with them. Most of the time if I get a backlash I can work it out with a little patience and effort, but not this stuff... I even considered e mailing Power Pro and asking them how they recommend getting a backlash out. I'll still use it on my spinning outfits, but I'll stick to mono on my baitcasters. (BTW, I picked up the scrap, I didn't let it go over the side)

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Mike, that sounds appropriate to me even though I haven't tried the 15. I was thinking about spooling up a 4000 Stradic with 20 and putting it on an Allstar TIS TR2S but 20 seems a little on the heavy side. I have a heavier outfit than you use but if you don't forsee a poblem with using 15 on my rig I think I'll give the 15 a shot. As usual I have another rig that 20lb Power pro should be more appropriate for. AL

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Al - yeah - I have a Stradic 2500 on the Shimano rod and a Quantum Boca 3000 on the All Star. I have a Stradic 4000 that I use for nearshore sight casting (Bonito, Spanish,etc), I have 15# PP on it too. The 15# is equivlent to 4# mono in size so you can get a lot on the spool. I'm sure 20# would work fine too.

One thing I learned is to make sure when you spin the braided line onto the reel, keep a lot of tension on it o you get a tight wrap, that will reduce the chances of a deep wedgie in the spool later.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Most of the guys I fished with in Fl. used 20 lb but there snook and tarpon were always in the mix along with an occasional cobia, jack or permit. I don't see it being necessary here. They are also blessed with some large trout but 15 should be plenty for them. My main concern was the 15lb. being too small in diameter. I think I will put the 20 on a bottom rig. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just my 2 cents...I use braids when fishing in deeper water ...like striper fishing at New Bern in 12 to 20 feet of water. The sensativity is a plus and so are the better hook sets. I also use it in heavy cover...stump fields for puppy drum and stripers. You have to be careful with it on trout and puppies in shallow water....set light drags 'cause something has to give and it usually the fishes mouth. It also is lighter in the air than mono....a plus for distance but bad in the wind, partularly a cross wind. It floats in the air with light baits and you loose your sensativity.
A riging suggestion. I tie a bimini twist in the braid then bristol knot the leader to the braid. If you snag eventually the braid will cut the mono/flouro leader and you can re-tie the bristol knot right back on the loop. Saves time and holds very well.
Capt Gary

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have fished with braid for almost three years and once I got used to it I love it. I have had more wind knots with the power pro than the new stren and stren seems to be rounder and maintain its color better than power pro. Less cutting in on the reel when fighting a big fish. I use 20 ld with a 30 lb florocarbine leader but I am fishing for snook around mangrove shorelines and oysters, you would not need that heavy of a lb test. The braid will cast farther and last longer:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I haven't reached any conclusions yet, but with light tackle (lures) I'm still getting a few wind knots. It's true, you just gotta cut and re-tie. Casting distance is about 50% further with the 5 foot rod. That's worth a knot or 2.

By the end of this summer I might be using PowerPro Line, going to a popping cork, with a Gulp! shrimp at the end.:rolleyes:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.