NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a year and a half away from regular youth ministry I'm getting back into the groove tomorrow as a Sunday School teacher for a 7th and 8th grade class. In the past my efforts were largely recreation-focused with a real burden to make sure kids looked forward to coming to the church and could leave with a long-lasting association of positive memories with time spent in Christian activities (which is pretty much the opposite of what I had as a kid).

This is a good group of kids - probably around a dozen, most of whom I've coached or led in some capacity before, so we'll have a good head start, but time spent cooped up together in a small room has a way of wearing on everybody.

This morning I'm praying for my own responsibilities in preparation, my enthusiasm and my endurance over the next year(s), and I'm asking the Lord to help me find ways to hold the attention of this age group in a class setting while effectively equipping them with solid, scriptural training. I'll need His help dealing with distractions and demonstrating my own testimony and His love through the unique opportunities this age group can create. And I'm praying that the kids will show patience for me and for each other, will be welcoming to visitors, that we will enjoy our time together in the word and that they will grow stronger and more confident in their relationship with the Lord.

I'd count it a blessing to be remembered in prayer by my brothers and sisters out here.

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also, if anybody has some group activities/teaching methods for this age group and setting that have worked well for them, please send them over in a PM. I haven't had a whole lot of time to prepare the assignment (about a day so far), so I don't have my curriculum figured out.

And since it is that time of year, if there are others starting or starting back into teaching Sunday school, add yourselves to the list here and we'll get you prayed for too!

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
Jeff - I'm sure you will do well with the kids! I'm lifting you and your class full of kids up in prayer today. I'm also adding you to my list of SS teachers I pray for each week.

I started my new SS job last week - after 10 plus years of teaching, I have accepted the role of SS Director. It will be hard for me to be out of the classroom but I pray the Lord will guide me and use me in this new role.

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
Mike
I've spent close to 10 years supervising Elementary-level Sunday School. The biggest key in my opinion is to remember that it's His program, not yours; you just need to discover the arrangements that He's got in mind.

One corollary to that concept is that the best you can do, will always be good enough. Whatever you can't manage, God can. Keep close beside Him and you'll be fine.

Jeff -- I've got a guy in mind who's worked with that age group quite a bit -- mind if I give him your phone number?

Kevin

Reactions: Topsail Angler

·
Premium Member
7,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Follow-up report: First day was great. A couple fewer kids than I was expecting, no distractions, no problems. Very engaging discussion about what they had done last year and how they'd like to work this year.

I think the biggest problem I'm going to have is remembering to get up when the Sunday School classes are dismissed - I've got 10 years of practice staying in the auditorium...

Thanks to any and all who responded in prayer. Keep at it - its working and well appreciated!!

·
Registered
260 Posts
Hey Jeff,
I will definitely be praying for you and your passion for sharing God's word with our youth.
I know how rewarding it can be and also how extremely important it is to give our youth a foundation to fall back on when they are tested in life. Thanks, Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.