NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found your site yesterday and the people seem friendly and knowledgable. I'm retiring next month after 21 years in the Army and hope to get back into the sport of fishing more seriously. Previously there has just been too many deployments and long hours. I'm looking for advice on good locations, lures, water levels, etc. to help me catch more fish. I love the outdoors and being on the water but as most would agree it's even more fun when you're catching and fighting something. I'm particularly interested in the Cape Fear River near Fayetteville as I live in Hope Mills. It seems that the river is forgotten by many with the larger lakes to the north (Jordan, Falls & Harris). When you only have 4-5 hours or less some evenings or days it just doesn't make it worth it to drive that far - especially with gas right now! I've got a 14' jon and I've had it out on the river several times lately with minimal success but had fun floating the river. I haven't given up though because I know there has to be some good fish lurking out there (besides catfish that I see most fishing for). I look forward to hearing from other members about good lakes or spots close by and tips to be more successful on the CF River. Thanks for the site and keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
engrmitch--- First off, THANK YOU ! For your service to our country and welcome to this site. I am not familiar with fishing in the upper Cape Fear and it has been many years since I have fished the lower section. Since that time, some smart idiots released some flathead delta cats into this river.I understand it has pretty well ruined the regular fishing except for catfishing and the annual run of spring spawning fish. Maybe some members more familiar with your area will give you a more intelligent update than I can provide. There are many lakes in Bladen County and the Lumber River in Robeson County, again I am not up to date on them. Good Luck!

Regards, Forrest

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I'm just up the road from ya in Sanford.

There's Waccamaw, White Lake to the south of you and there's the lock and dams as well.

Cape Fear in Lee County headin to Harris lake goin North on 42.

But in your area, there's the Cape Fear near downtown Fayetteville and a ramp area there as well, and south on 87 towards Elizebeth town you see the Wildlife management signs and Lock and Dam signs as well. My boss fishes around them all the time and has had some success, but all he's caught is catfish and carp.

Farm ponds are the way to go, just have to put in sometime to get to know "neighbors".

AK Mc Callum's in Fayetteville on Ramsey street would be a good start on places local, those guys know just about everything for fishin local.

Some of the best ponds around Ft Bragg are off Vass Road just north of Manchester Road (take a left at the cemetary just past the bridge over the lower little river). Lot's of decent bass and brim in some of them off beat trail ponds back in there. Good place it to get up with Bragg Recreation or Management section for maps and what's required to fish the ponds.

Lake Rim is at the end of Reilly Road South,,, I've fished it and havent caught anything worth anything out of there. It's a electric motor only lake. Maybe on the west side grass and lilly's there might be some fish, but I havent heard of anyone catching much of anything out of there.

White lake is great for yellow perch!!! and bass in there, thing is, that lake is clear as pool water and can be very challenging as it's super easy to spook the fish,, they see you comin a mile a way.

Waccamaw has black crappie and bass, lot's of shallow areas and grass beds, I've heard it's a fun lake to fish, but might be too far of a drive for you if you just want to wet a line in the evening.

Dont know if they let folks still fish around the lake at Waters Edge off Cliffdale Road and Reilly Road. Small lake with alot of stumps and a decent underwater creek that runs thru it. Most folks fished near the dam on Cliffdale road.

Ask the boys down at AK's off Ramsey St. about fishin in/around the Cape Fear (Fayetteville)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I appreciate the info. Never thought about asking the guys at AK McCallum. I know right where it is and I'll have to get by one day to talk to them. I agree about Rim on Raeford Rd. I've been there several times but had no luck - not even a bite. One you didn't mention that is a real pretty place the state just purchased in the spring is Rhodes Pond. My brother and I were out there about a week ago when he was down from PA. I got skunked but he got a couple largemouth, a rock bass and a good size sunfish using a 4" black/purple Senko back in among the cypress trees. If you like trying new places you can check out these sites below. The place is easy to find right on 301 a little north of the town of Godwin. Thanks again for the info and happy fishing!
http://www.rhodespond.com/
http://www.nceep.net/news/clips/fayetteville1-12-05.htm

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Sounds good,,, I hadnt fished down in Fayetteville for about 8 years now... moved up towards Sanford and I got a 11 acre pond 100 yards from my front door that I fish every now and then for a quick deal.

For pond fishin, Yozuri pin minnows and small black back on silver Rapala's do the trick for me. Catches everything in the pond except for the catfish.

Some kid pulled up a 8 lb cat out this spring and I've caught some real nice shellcrackers. For bass, it's like shootin fish in a barrel... we got some here that actually strike small ducklings... kinda traumatizes the kids a bit...

But AK's should have the low down for ya,,, best of luck and welcome to the NCangler site, lot's of guys who know how to catch fish on the site.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome Army!!!

:) A R M Y!!!!! It sure is good to know there will be another SOLDIER in Eastern NC! Welcome! I am a Viet Nam era vet. Was most fortunate not to have to go. I got out in 1965. So.......Fishing here this year has been kinda hit and miss. The water has gotten quite warm and most of the game fish have moved to deeper, cooler water.

So....Hope to hear from ya when you get here...I didn't mean any disrespect to the USMC...God Bless Them ALL!:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.