NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used the real preserved natural baits? Was wondering if they worked or not. If you have used the preserved baits please tell which ones you have used. Thanks!!

·
Registered
841 Posts
I've tried both the preserved shad and the preserved minnows, both were completely worthless, not a nibble.

Preserved squid work ok on the Potomac for white perch, not as good as the fresh or frozen, but ok.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I've tried shad, cigar minnows,shrimp, squid. I've never had any luck with any of it except small mudcats and bowfin, eels. I've read that those packaged preserved baits are actually left overs from the oil collection process for making attractants and once the oil has been pulled out they lose their effectiveness and it is just a marketing thing. The oil you find them packed in isnt bait oil but a replacement usually soybean oil..

Reactions: Coach D

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's the info I was looking for. Was thinking it might be a good idea to keep at the house and take with me the times I don't have time to go by a bait shop. Especially somewhere like Rhodes that does not have a bait shop close to it. Unless you consider a 14 or 20 minute ride past the place or out of the way close.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
I keep an old Folgers can of worms. I buy worms and toss the left overs from a trip or 2 in the can with a bit of cornmeal. Keep them cool and once in a while just a very tiny sprinkle of water and you'll always have something. I also keep an old aquarium of minnows but thats probably a bit extreme for most folks..:)

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My problem is keeping them from being thrown out by the wife.

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Coach I'm afraid that's a marital thing...keeping out of that one!! I will say this. My wife and I had a few rounds about tackle and general stuff of mine.. We agreed to decalre a certain space as "MINE". Within its boundaries I leave things as I want, where I want and what I choose to keep there... I respect all other areas as to her wishes and she keeps her hands/nose/opinions out of mine. A corner of the garage,storage shed,back patio etc can be secluded by shelves,blinds,even a carefully chosen curtain between two corners to keep your things out of sight if thats the issue...

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've got my shed and a couple other places but they are all HOT during the summer and worms would only become a big old stink fest (have had this happen in the past when I thought to save some in the shade of the shed) Took some inside and had them in where I thought to be a good location (I was wrong as usual like most husbands can attest) and they were thrown away. I'll have to think about buying an ac for the shed.:D

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
Little "dorm"refrigerators are good for storing worms. You can set the temp high enough to use little power and pack it full of drinks so they are already cold when you chunk them in the cooler... And you can freeze small packs in the top of shrimp,minnows,etc..

Reactions: Coach D
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.