NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
headed out in the Jon boat yesterday afternoon with three rods one chatterbait, one whopper plopper and one weightless Texas rig with Houdini worm color. Second cast of the day landed first of 14 a 1.5 pounder but always good to end skunk possibilities early. A few casts later again beating banks with worm another about 2.5#. Continued floating along the banks and had one come off and landed another 3#. Decided to head into a cove and tried whopper plopper through the yellow scum and than a chatterbait no luck. Decided to head along the dam and landed another 2.5#. Started my float down the lake as wind was moving me at a nice slow pace lost one and landed another. Headed toward a lay down that has always yielded some big girls. As I was approaching saw what looked like a pig come smashing bank in a sea of yellow pollen but given tail and fin. Size figured a nice fish. Tossed worm right into spot it busted and nothing threw around area some more again nothing. Floated further down lake and landed another and decided to swing back around and give one more try along that lay down. Tossed the worm and just felt the chomp, most of the fish completely swallowed the plastics up to this point, waited on it to start moving since wasn’t sure it was a hit or dropping off stump or rock. Line started to move and had to wait till I could reposition boat for a good hook set and once in position set the hook. now the fun began fish came out of water immediately and I knew I had a big girl!! She ran under and around the boat, tried to run under some logs but worked her out and finally wore her out. Hook was deep and with the fight it really had pulled on inner gullet. Was able to get hook out, no blood which surprised me and quickly weighed it at 7.24#. Took photo and than returned her gently in the water And worked on getting her going and she eventually swam off with gusto. Added in some others all in the 1-4# range with one dink tossed in for good measures.
could not get a taker on chatter or the plopper but a very good day. Tossing plastic under brush . Was interesting that once I got past half way point of lake heading towards shallow end only picked up,one fish but once I headed back into the deeper end landed a few more.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good stuff man. I went out yesterday too and tried my luck with a texas rigged soft plastic as well and came out with 5 (by far the most I've gotten all year), all pretty small but seemed to be a good proof of concept! I was on a 3/0 hook size so thinking about heading to bass pro shop after work to replace a rod I lost on last boat trip to size up a bit see if I cant get out on the boat tomorrow and get a part of the big girl club. Over 7 pounds is great though - congrats.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another decent day on lake boated 8 lost 4-5 biggest 4.25# a couple,of 3# and rest 1-2 except one dink

·
Registered
11 Posts
I read Spidey's post yesterday morning... after work, went and bought a pack of houdini worms... only had a very short time window to fish from the bank. Only threw the weightless texas rigged houdini for ~ 20 minutes, but caught two... and this one is my best of the year and probably top three lifetime. Thanks for your reporting Spidey.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I read Spidey's post yesterday morning... after work, went and bought a pack of houdini worms... only had a very short time window to fish from the bank. Only threw the weightless texas rigged houdini for ~ 20 minutes, but caught two... and this one is my best of the year and probably top three lifetime. Thanks for your reporting Spidey.
Glad I could be of assistance

·
Registered
179 Posts
Bite is definitely picking up! I got on a few with a Texas Rigged senko on Saturday. Topwater wasn't working for me just yet, but I'm ok fishing that worm all day, especially when I'm getting bites!

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bite is definitely picking up! I got on a few with a Texas Rigged senko on Saturday. Topwater wasn't working for me just yet, but I'm ok fishing that worm all day, especially when I'm getting bites!
Seems like the buck bass are the most active right now but I did lose a pig yesterday tossed under a log and worm hit the pool of yellow pollen saw a swirl and off to the races however when I set the hook, was not clear of the last limb I knew was there and she hung me up and flopped off. Did manage 7 nothing over 2# however

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great Post!! Thanks, but you are killing me.

I went away on a fishing vacation, leaving the Hickory Hill ramp on Falls ‘underutilized’.

Never leave fish to find fish... as they say.

Good Luck - the fishing is on!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
66 Posts
headed out in the Jon boat yesterday afternoon with three rods one chatterbait, one whopper plopper and one weightless Texas rig with Houdini worm color. Second cast of the day landed first of 14 a 1.5 pounder but always good to end skunk possibilities early. A few casts later again beating banks with worm another about 2.5#. Continued floating along the banks and had one come off and landed another 3#. Decided to head into a cove and tried whopper plopper through the yellow scum and than a chatterbait no luck. Decided to head along the dam and landed another 2.5#. Started my float down the lake as wind was moving me at a nice slow pace lost one and landed another. Headed toward a lay down that has always yielded some big girls. As I was approaching saw what looked like a pig come smashing bank in a sea of yellow pollen but given tail and fin. Size figured a nice fish. Tossed worm right into spot it busted and nothing threw around area some more again nothing. Floated further down lake and landed another and decided to swing back around and give one more try along that lay down. Tossed the worm and just felt the chomp, most of the fish completely swallowed the plastics up to this point, waited on it to start moving since wasn’t sure it was a hit or dropping off stump or rock. Line started to move and had to wait till I could reposition boat for a good hook set and once in position set the hook. now the fun began fish came out of water immediately and I knew I had a big girl!! She ran under and around the boat, tried to run under some logs but worked her out and finally wore her out. Hook was deep and with the fight it really had pulled on inner gullet. Was able to get hook out, no blood which surprised me and quickly weighed it at 7.24#. Took photo and than returned her gently in the water And worked on getting her going and she eventually swam off with gusto. Added in some others all in the 1-4# range with one dink tossed in for good measures.
could not get a taker on chatter or the plopper but a very good day. Tossing plastic under brush . Was interesting that once I got past half way point of lake heading towards shallow end only picked up,one fish but once I headed back into the deeper end landed a few more. View attachment 218791
Glad to hear they are hitting plastics now, congrats

·
Red X Angler
3,758 Posts
Nice job, Spidey! Hmm... Texas rigged soft plastics around wood cover... I might have done that a time or two in my day, as well. ;)

Reactions: Woffski

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Nice job, Spidey! Hmm... Texas rigged soft plastics around wood cover... I might have done that a time or two in my day, as well. ;)
Lol. It’s so much fun being on a Jon boat now in 8 days managed 58 bass but gonna give lake a break for a few days. last week the tossing at the banks started to slow after the cold snap so tried out a Carolina rig. Never had luck with them in the past but yesterday land a 4# and the previous attempt a 1 and a 2.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts