NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To beat the heat, I have been getting up at 5 a.m. and on the water by 6. Fishing for slot size drum has been excellent, and I have picked up a couple of stripers too. Have kept my one drum a day—my cast iron skillet has helped me serve up some Louisiana-style blackened redfish. Here are a few pics…think the largest red was 22 inches. Some fish were caught on a popping cork rig—all of the others on 1/8 ounce Beetlespins (I throw away the beetle and slip on a Yum chartreuse or white 2-3 inch curly tail grub).

Vertebrate Window Plant Fish Tree
Food Bait Fishing net Fishing bait Fish
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Fisherman
Automotive lighting Grille Mesh Hat Automotive exterior

·
Registered
393 Posts
Nice report. In my limited amount of time spent in salt water an 1/8 jig with a white twister has always been a solid producer for me.

~JOE~

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went again this morning and caught redfish, flounder, and a largemouth bass—all on the same bait and in the same place!

Reactions: Woffski

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pamlico River creeks from Bath southward to Wade’s Point, where the Pam and Pungo Rivers meet.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I feel like I should know you @Chris52. You're a native of the Bath/Belhaven area? I grew up in Pinetown and graduated HS from Bath (class of 76). We're going to be fishing the Currituck/Wades Point area on Saturday morning ourselves. Any tips you care to share? What about specks, anything going on with them in that area?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I feel like I should know you @Chris52. You're a native of the Bath/Belhaven area? I grew up in Pinetown and graduated HS from Bath (class of 76). We're going to be fishing the Currituck/Wades Point area on Saturday morning ourselves. Any tips you care to share? What about specks, anything going on with them in that area?
Not a native, but have lived and worked in the little Washington and Bath area since 1997. The 52 in Chris52 is the year I was born, so I am guessing I am a few years older than you. I retired 3 1/2 years ago, and do spend most of my free time fishing.

Regarding your upcoming fishing trip, Elsa has dumped a tremendous amount of rain in the last 8 hours, and the 30 mph southerly winds have the North side of the river all stirred up. The creeks are going to be blown out and probably won’t clear up for 4-5 days at least. This storm covered over half the state, so I am at a loss to suggest any fishing spots.

As noted above, I have done well with the drum, but in the past six weeks have only caught small trout. We have had so much rain the Pamlico is really very fresh, and after today will stay that way for a good while longer.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Not a native, but have lived and worked in the little Washington and Bath area since 1997. The 52 in Chris52 is the year I was born, so I am guessing I am a few years older than you. I retired 3 1/2 years ago, and do spend most of my free time fishing.

Regarding your upcoming fishing trip, Elsa has dumped a tremendous amount of rain in the last 8 hours, and the 30 mph southerly winds have the North side of the river all stirred up. The creeks are going to be blown out and probably won’t clear up for 4-5 days at least. This storm covered over half the state, so I am at a loss to suggest any fishing spots.

As noted above, I have done well with the drum, but in the past six weeks have only caught small trout. We have had so much rain the Pamlico is really very fresh, and after today will stay that way for a good while longer.
Chris, yeah, you have a few years on me....I'm almost there though (retirement). I'm with you, I know Elsa made a mess of the river and creeks and yeah, I'm pretty sure all this fresh water isn't going to do us any good but I would rather try and fail than not try at all. Maybe I'll see you on the river at some point.

I run a 22 ft Scout CC/T-top but all of my fishing up to now was up on the northern OBX where I lived (Kill Devil Hills). The trout are up in the grass now and live baiting is the way to go so I was planning on filling the live well before I crossed over (pulling down to Aurora from Greenville) early Saturday then crossing the river from there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@Chris52 - Fished in and around Pungo mouth on Saturday...water was pretty muddy but fished a couple of good points and caught many undersized flounder. Fishing white curly tailed gulps was the way to go... Moved over to Indian Island after lunch and ran into some nice keeper trout and one 19" puppy drum so all-in-all not too bad considering water quality. Many thanks for the leads, we'll be fishing those areas again sometime in the near future trying to be sure the flounder are hanging on the same points so come September we can fill the freezers!

Tight lines...

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Glad you got hooked up—especially after all the rain Elsa dumped on us. And then, to top it off, more heavy rain on Friday. Yes, I too have found white to be the most effective color, and the Gulp scent makes all the difference when visibility is bad.

I have not been back out since last Wednesday—hoping to change that this Wednesday after I am caught up with some outdoor chores today and tomorrow.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We're fishing again this coming Sunday, Chris. Hoping to run down another couple of puppies. Where have you found them hanging? We pulled up about six under 14" laying up against the grass but I'm wondering where the slots are laying...any idea? As for the Gulps...expensive and not very durable but yeah, they make all the difference in the world. I know it is skinny water so a lot of the spots you're fishing are probably not accessible to me...anything under about 20" water and I'm stirring mud. Could you suggest any points where I might get in close without mudding it up? I'm still trying to learn the lay of the land so to speak so honestly, any advice would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Creek mouths have been working for me. Blowdowns too. Many of the fish I have caught have been holding right on the bank. Also, as dirty as the water has been, the flash and vibration of a spinner bait really helps. Fish early—I have been getting up at 5:30 and on the water by 6, and usually done by 9-9:30.

Gulps’ scent may be the best around, but no they are not durable. I have actually switched to Z-Man baits, like the Trout Trick. Z-Man does make scented baits, and they hold up much better than the Gulp baits especially if the pinfish are around.

Folks will soon start going to the Sound and start soaking mullet for the big bull drum. A lot of folks have good luck with big noisy popping cork rigs. Those are usually a deeper water game, like in 8 to 10 feet or more so you won’t be so limited for access to good spots.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Chris, everything we caught was holding up against the banks (grass). I'm not a big spinner bait user but may need to rethink my strategies. I know soaking mullet can get me a bull but honestly it's kind of boring...LOL! Having said this, can you recommend some areas in the sound that might be productive?

We had a couple of solid hits on popping corks last weekend and we'll probably hit them again this Sunday but the action was still in the flats. I know a lot of people who swear by Z-man but I haven't tried them yet...again, I may need to give these a try. As for timing, I like hitting the water by around 5:00 just as it gets light enough to navigate by sight. I have a solid GPS with nav charts on the boat but I still like to see where I'm going...or rather what I'm not hitting as I know how debris can drift in and around the channels.

Again, Sunday on the water crossing over from Aurora...tight lines and if you fish before I do, let me know how you do!

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hit it again this morning early…switched up baits to a 1/2 ounce saltwater Beetlespin (Cabelas or Bass Pro). Used a MH rod and a 4000 size reel so I could boat fish quickly and release them healthy. In 2 hours, I caught 3 slot size reds, a small trout, and a bowfin. Slow-rolled the bait near the bottom. All fish came off the bank or in downed trees (another reason for the heavier rod so I could horse them out of the branches). In my other posts I had been using much lighter equipment, which was a lot of fun—but I knew I was going to be releasing fish today.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Many thanks for the update, Chris! We'll be crossing over about 5:30 Sunday morning which means we'll be on a falling tide, yeah, I know tides don't mean much this far upriver but I think we'll have enough water that we don't have to run too far up or down river to get around Indian Island.

Working the creek mouths again? Last week we briefly hit East Fork and saw a little action. Any specific creeks you want to share? If so, DM me and I'd be very appreciative. Taking some co-workers who have never fished the Pamlico so trying to be sure we get on some fish.

How's the water quality now? Salinity and clarity should be improving, yes?

·
Registered
558 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bruce…check your private messages.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have enjoyed reading this, esp with all the tips. Thanks guys. I should be able to contribute to this thread this weekend. Plan on hitting either the pam or Neuse.

·
Registered
34 Posts
@NCfishingKing - Hey, we're going to be in South Creek scouting a couple of more holes for puppies Saturday. Putting in at the Wildlife ramp in Aurora. I'll keep both you and Chris posted on how we do. I''m with Chris, early morning is the best time to hit the river as the trout seem to be most active early morning. The puppies don't seem to care, they'll hit pretty much any time of day. One thing to note, if you find a fishy hole where you think puppies might be holding, cast up against any crab pots in the area. The puppies seem to be holding up against. I don't think it's structure as much as it is the expectation of a free meal (baited crab pot = crab attractant = free lunch for puppy) White Gulps seem to be de rigueur for both the puppies and flounder.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts