NC Angler Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am on my way to Atlantic Beach for a few days, so my routine is about to make a major change. Planning to both fish in the surf and then hit a pier. We will see how it goes. Am taking a variety of equipment so I hope I am prepared for whatever the conditions throw at me.

Has anybody been down that way recently?? Have any tips??

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chris, I haven't fished that area in forever but I've heard the rock jetty at Fort Macon has been productive in the past. Good luck, let us know how you do when you get back!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have a question that's been on my mind for a while.... Does the chop (or wind) on the water have anything to do with the bite (for reds, flounder trout) in the rivers? (Neuse/pam)

I'm limited to only really fishing light chop to flat water being in a kayak.

·
Registered
36 Posts
@NCfishingKing - Only to the extent that it may generate water movement (current) which will certainly impact the trout bite . They tend to look for moving water to push baitfish into their kill zone. I've fished the Pamlico/Pungo rivers the past two weekends under different conditions of wind and haven't seen any real difference in the red or flounder bite. Everyone also says go live during the summer doldrums but I'm still picking up a lot of fish (reds, trout and flounder) on soft plastics. I haven't really seen a lot of bait in the water either of the past two weeks so not much choice but to fish artificials.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have a question that's been on my mind for a while.... Does the chop (or wind) on the water have anything to do with the bite (for reds, flounder trout) in the rivers? (Neuse/pam)

Hey guy...pick a weekend and let me know and we'll throw the boat over and run the river sometime...

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·

I do believe it makes a difference in the water quality and visibility if that chop is hitting the bank you are fishing. It gets the bottom stirred up and murky. A couple of the places I fish are shallow flats for almost 300 yards off the bank, so all that bottom muck can end up in the 20 or 30 yards I am casting to at the bank or treetop blowdowns. If its bad enough I will swap sides of the creek or river where things are calmer. If you are fishing deeper water than I don’t think it matters so much.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Did pretty well yesterday. Nothing much for size, but caught 6 flounder, 4 trout and 2 reds. Bunch of other bites and some losses. 3" gulp! shrimp, white with chartreuse tail for all of them. Me and another guy on a boat fished a broken down dock and he was catching them too with z-man curly tail grub, says that all he uses all year round. I'm pleased with my results on this trip

·
Registered
36 Posts
@NCfishingKing - Saturday we fished in and around the mouth of South Creek using Gulp Pearl White Swiming Mullets. Water clarity was about 2 ft, water tempt was about 82 at the surface. Almost no wind but what there was came out of the N/NE. We killed keeper flounder...we'd have all limited if we could have taken them home. We also boated a bunch of small reds with the biggest being maybe 14". A couple of dink trout rounded out the day. Nothing to write home about but still worth being on the water. We fished the morning with a high tide so plenty of water to get into the weedlines. Again, we're still marking fish counting the days until Sept. 1.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Glad to hear you are finding them in this heat. I too have been lucky lately as well. Went out the morning of the full moon (sunday) and managed 22 flounder, 8 reds and 7 trout into my kayak. Biggest red was at 29" and was a line screamer. Most flounder were 20-22" only 4 were below slot. All were nice big trout in the 19-23" range. Wilmington area. All were caught on ZMan Diezel paddle tails of slam shady or purple death on a 1/8 or 3/16 oz. jig head.

Reactions: NCfishingKing

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Back from my beach trip. Fished the surf 1 day and Oceana Pier another. Nothing to report except pinfish, the occasional small spot, and lizardfish. Really just a waste of good shrimp. I did see a young guy catch a 5 foot long 100 pound shark off the end of the pier. He played that fish perfectly, and ran it down the pier close to 1000 feet to beach it. He made a good release—and then you should have seen the swimmers clear out in the blink of an eye!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts