NC Angler Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if I am in the right section or not but I'm on the bank 24/7.

A friend of mine let's me fish his pond in front of his house. It is a nice pond but it has a lot of algae in it. I was wondering if some grass carp would help this problem any?

On the retrieve the water feels thick. If that makes sense.

Just wondering. I haven't talked with him about it because I don't want to offend him. Just seeing if a pro active approach would help the situation any?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm managing a pond had the same problem your talking about. I put in channel cat fingerlings and they took care of the algea problem they eat that stuff like crazy. Grass carp are pricey and easy prey for ospreys. All of the other fish that were already in the pond are benefiting also because reducing the alge increased the oxygen level.

·
Registered
4,422 Posts
You might try a few goldfish or tilapia as well.

Some pond stocking businesses sell blue tilapia and they love algae.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If a professional evaluation is required to find out the cause of the algae infestation, the best (and cheapest - its free) is the county agricultural extension office. You could be looking at an over-fertilization situation, run-off from a farm, or someone's faulty septic system. IMO, it is better to know the cause before starting a cure. Especially if its free.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts