NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Bass Pro spring fishing sale paper yesterday and they are advertising the Pro Qualifier baitcaster reels for $49.99 which is 1/2 price. In most ways these reels are identical to the Lew's that are so well loved (both made by same company). I own several of these at you won't find a better reel for $50. I think the sale starts 2/6.

·
Red X Angler
8,988 Posts
They are nice reels. I own a couple. Only issue is parts after they are over a year old. With BPS you have to have them shipped from Missouri. All big box retailers face this issue. I work at Academy and it's the same way there. BTW, the H2O express reels and rods are nice too. Not sure who makes them.

·
Registered
748 Posts
yep, on my to do list that weekend. if they ever made a 6oz pro qualifier, i don't think i'd ever buy anything else again...

for that reason, i will look at the new carbonlite reel as well, also on sale. liked the old carbonlite rod, will check the new also.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
great now everyone's gonna be there :rolleyes: I desperately need 2 and it's "in store" only too.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
I got a sales paper in the mail about it. Gotta register to be on their mailing list.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
I have 3 of the lews and if this is truly a rebadged lews I will buy them where did you find that info. They obviously look very close in build.

A lot of people would say a Ming Yang is a rebadged ABU too but it's not.
I have watched numerous people on another site sell whole collections of ABU setups for Ming Yangs because they were 50 dollars instead of a 100 dollars. Looks can deceiving. Know what you are getting. Ming Yangs are 100% different on the guts end with monkey metal under the hood. I have prototype tested for Ming in the past and they are garbage compared to ABU.

But the pro qualifier is a little different. Some of the parts in the Qualifier will interchange with a Lews speed spool which also means it's not just a rebadged Lews....or they would all interchange.
The same thing happens with ABU and Omoto. Some parts are actually the same part manufactured by two different companies in the case of Omoto. IT STILL does not make them the same reel.You can cut 50 dollars out of a reel all sorts of ways starting with metal quality, going to bearing quality, and casting versus machining.

Always know if parts are available. A 50 dollar reel may not be such a good deal if you actually have to box it up and send it off for repair. I can't imagine having to send a reel off for something as common as a levelwind pawl. On the other hand a reel like an ABU, there is tons of places to buy parts online. Not only OEM parts but after market as well. If you don't work on your own reels, buy something people will work on. In the past people have brought me all kinds of reels for repair. Turned a bunch away too. Sure, I would like to get you going but you got to have something I can get going.

Always take a little time to research and ask before buying DEAL reels.
Alot is going to depend on how much you fish, how you fish, and where you fish.

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
These are great reels for $50. I've got 5 of them at the regular prices and have been using them for years. At $50, I may have to ad a couple more!

·
Premium Member
3,233 Posts
I will be a the concord store for a shift on Sunday. I'm hoping there might be a few left...haha!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Well I won't lie I used my reels 80% of the time on brackish water and 5 percent straight salt the other 15 on falls lake and I clean them after I get back from the coast so maybe these reels aren't quite for what I personally use them for. But I may grab 2 for some fresh only reels.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well I won't lie I used my reels 80% of the time on brackish water and 5 percent straight salt the other 15 on falls lake and I clean them after I get back from the coast so maybe these reels aren't quite for what I personally use them for. But I may grab 2 for some fresh only reels.
they are better than the $50 price tag would indicate. i've had a few and have never had to work on a single one. you have to work to backlash one and they will cast a country mile. i fish brackish nonstop, but fwiw, never straight salt. i would wager right now that you would have no trouble.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Got a 5.2:1 and a 7.1:1 -- Cary store had already sold out of the lowest ratio reel (4.7:1?) but appeared to have plenty of the others on Friday afternoon.

Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive tire Personal protective equipment Electric blue

Reactions: sundrop
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.