NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me out here, im running a Merc XR6 150hp on my nitro. I took it out other day and when I went to throttle up motor would change sound (rev up high) and would never get on plane. I could idle and move fine but just never would plane. I took the prop and hub off but could see really any signs of a spun hub. It has a flo torq hub. Could I still have a spun hub or could these symptoms be something else?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Sounds like a spun hub to me. Doubt you would see any real obvious signs, at least I did not on one that let loose on me.

Reactions: Brenardo

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
if the rpm is coming up and the boat isn't its a spun hub. You can putt around all day but throw the torque to it and it starts slipping..

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
If it is a flo torque hub and slipping, I would think signs of wear would be pretty easy to spot on the nylon sleeve. It would either be not square or there would be wear where the splined part fits into the nylon. If no signs of wear, were you carrying an unusually heavy load? Was the plug in and no water in the boat?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is a flo torque hub and slipping, I would think signs of wear would be pretty easy to spot on the nylon sleeve. It would either be not square or there would be wear where the splined part fits into the nylon. If no signs of wear, were you carrying an unusually heavy load? Was the plug in and no water in the boat?
Plug was in, and three people in boat no gear or anything. The boat is new to me and we just took it out for a ride and it started doing this. Also my dad thinks the sharp edges are rounded off, so it could very well be spun.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
With engine off put motor in gear, Step on the prop blade and see if you can turn the prop. If the prop moves and the motor doesn't, the prop is spun. Be sure and watch the flywheel (hood off) because you still might turn the engine itself.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if the rpm is coming up and the boat isn't its a spun hub. You can putt around all day but throw the torque to it and it starts slipping..
The more i pushed the throttle down the motor would rev up, the boat would stand up and would speed up a little and just about time to get on plane motor would rev WOT and I would have to back off throttle. Boat never would lay down.

·
Red X Angler
16,054 Posts
you say its new to you , has it ever planed right or is this your first attempt? Are you adjusting the trim as you accelerate?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
you say its new to you , has it ever planed right or is this your first attempt? Are you adjusting the trim as you accelerate?
This was my first run with the boat. I did not get to put it on lake before I bought it. The guy swore up and down that it was fine last time out. The thing runs like a charm! And yes I adjusted trim as i was trying to get it to plane. The way it acted was it kinda sound like the prop coming out of the water the way it would rev up right before you think its about to lay down. Ive never had one do like this thats why im puzzled.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Are you sure the motor is tucked in (trimmed alway under)? If it isn't most of the time (depending on the amount of tuck) it can very well sound /act like a spun hub because the prop looses it's grip. Not saying it is not a spun hub but it needs to be checked a little further.

·
Registered
482 Posts
My friend bought an immaculate carolina skiff without water testing it:eek:. Had me to show he and his wife how to operate it and before we got far from the ramp I realized that the prop was spun, luckily, because they had taken it out the previous day and commented to me how high the engine revved without making much speed.

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
What pitch is the prop? Too little might cause blow out, too much and you may not be able to get the RPMs to get out of the hole. 150 on an 18 ft bass boat would probably have a 23 or 25 pitch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for help guys! I got a new hub sleeve and compared the old with new with a caliper, and the old one was wore quite a bit. I put the new one on got a cjance to take it back out, eased the throttle down and it planed off pretty!! The boat ran smooth and would top out at about 62mph. So it had to be spun, but its good to go now and thank goodness it was a cheap fix! $23

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.