NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I was looking at my prop and determined it is steel. My flashlight stuck to it when I was trying to determine the size. hahahaha. I could not find anything on the outside telling me anything other than it's slightly rusty.

How do you figure out what the props configuration is?

I am looking at the prop because there is a decent ding with some missing material on one lobe. And then the normal dings and tip wear. I figure that chip will cause some vibration. Going to aluminum should free up some rpms. But then I loose some strength. I will take the risk.

The question becomes... Who makes a good prop for a reasonable amount of money?

I am not just going to go out and buy one. I would like to get on the lake and see how this performs. I have enough stuff here to get RPM from the motor and speed from the GPS. And of course I need to know what I have so I can determine if a change might do something positive for me.

I see there are plenty of variables in the selection. Boat weight, Wide Open Throttle, Current prop configuration, and then what am I wanting to do. Then the balance of speed vs hole shot vs mileage, .....

And there is brand. I know nothing. That might be good. I know from the Johnson propeller book I need a 14 spline prop.

I bet there is someone that can splain how the different parts effect the prop performance. Change diameter, Rake, Pitch.

mikeski...

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
somewhere either in the outer or inner there is a number or series of numbers. How big of a ding are we talking about? Aluminium will give you a faster acceleration and maybe a few rpm but you lose some torque because aluminum is flexible. I would get it running at its best then check your rpm at WOT and if it is in the parameters of the engine max specs then the prop you have is right just get a new one like it.

Reactions: dbeam

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
So, I was looking at my prop and determined it is steel. My flashlight stuck to it when I was trying to determine the size. hahahaha. I could not find anything on the outside telling me anything other than it's slightly rusty.

How do you figure out what the props configuration is?

I am looking at the prop because there is a decent ding with some missing material on one lobe. And then the normal dings and tip wear. I figure that chip will cause some vibration. Going to aluminum should free up some rpms. But then I loose some strength. I will take the risk.

The question becomes... Who makes a good prop for a reasonable amount of money?

I am not just going to go out and buy one. I would like to get on the lake and see how this performs. I have enough stuff here to get RPM from the motor and speed from the GPS. And of course I need to know what I have so I can determine if a change might do something positive for me.

I see there are plenty of variables in the selection. Boat weight, Wide Open Throttle, Current prop configuration, and then what am I wanting to do. Then the balance of speed vs hole shot vs mileage, .....

And there is brand. I know nothing. That might be good. I know from the Johnson propeller book I need a 14 spline prop.

I bet there is someone that can splain how the different parts effect the prop performance. Change diameter, Rake, Pitch.

mikeski...
It could be stainless with a higher carbon content. These are the painted stainless props.
A stronger prop than the bright mirror finished stainless props.
Rake is used for trimming boats.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmmm, It does kinda look like the prop was painted. Maybe brown or gold at some time?

Whatever they hit with the prop it dented and turned the edge over. Someone ground most of the mushroom off.

mikeski

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.