NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fishing falls lake last week and was headed back to the ramp. I was in the channel near Rolling View and hit a submerged log or something. Dinged up my prop. Any suggestions for prop repair in Raleigh?

Thanks

·
Registered
574 Posts
My next purchase for the boat is a new prop. I have about 2/3 each blade remaining.:eek: Don't look at me that way! It was like that when I got it, not that I haven't found a few oyster rocks.

Anyway...The alum. props are about half the cost of SS. Are the SS worth it, I have always used alum.?

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
A buddy of mine has the identical boat I have, a 19's CC with a 115 Yamaha four stroke. He put a SS prop on a few weeks ago and ended up taking it back after a few times out. He said it didn't do much for the performance and was over $300. So I decided to stick with my alum prop - sure it gets dinged up but the service manager at the boat shop told me that the SS prop gives less when you hit a rock or oyster bed so you are more likely to damage the shaft than with an Alum prop. Might be different if I was running one of those high performance boats and only in the open ocean.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Good points Hamstead! I am running the boat in the area where I grew up, but I haven't piloted the river in several years and not much in the area I am frequenting now. I have been finding the oyster rocks the hard way. It's much better to replace a $50 - $75 alum. prop than a lower unit (or worse). Thanks for the tips!

Tight lines,
PH

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.