NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I would like to get a new prop for my motor and have the old dinged up one as a backup. Part of that travel parts box and tool thing I need to put together. So I need a little help.

I have no brand affiliation and no preconceived thoughts on a prop and know little to nothing about them. I do know enough to know that there is a bunch that goes into selecting the correct prop.

It appears I need a 14 spline prop.

Any recommendations on brands to consider? I am thinking SS for durability.

Is there a recommended place in the Raleigh area to get a prop measured and to help pick the correct prop for my boat? I can not find a size stamped into the prop anywhere.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
5500 should be your rpm max something around a 13 1/4 x 17 should put you close with good torque for take off and speed.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was reading some on the prop selection thing on the site. I guess you can get real anal bout a prop. I don't think I need to get into swapping props about for that perfect match.

The prop on the second motor is aluminum and it's 12.25 x 15. I felt it was spinning to fast. The tach went close to 6K with it. The prop I am using I have no idea what it is. It tops out at about 5500.

mikeski

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
a 17 pitch is right for you, as far as diameter, go as big as the foot allows. 13 I think on these 55hp. I have 4 factory props and cant find squat for numbers on any of them.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
You want to turn close to max RPMs with the load you normally carry. If you go with too much pitch, you end up lugging the motor as it working really hard and cant turn close to max RPMs, too little pitch and you run the risk of over reving and you lose efficiency. Different blade configurations and designs can also perform differently. Jr. at Pitstop marine in Angier may be able to help you out on prop selection, I know he is a dealer for Turbo and Hydromotive.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After further investigation there seems to be a standard prop set for the Evinrude 55, small gear, through the prop exhaust 13 spline prop. I did find some info on other sizes on iboats.

I did some measuring and it looks like the unknown prop is 12 1/2". If it's standard size it's a 12 1/2 x 13. The other is 12 1/14 x 15 for sure.

As I search I am seeing there is a standard version and then some with hubs. Is one better vs the other?

mikeski

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, it looks like there are basically 3 different size props for this motor. After measuring a number of times I should have a 12 1/2 x 13. You can find other dimensions if you go with a hub prop. I will think about that later. I just want something I know is not bent and without visible scars. Not that I won't make my own scars. So for the moment I am going with a Solas Amita 3 c series 2 stroke 12.5 x 13 which is a sub $100 aluminum prop.

mikeski

·
Red X Angler
13,664 Posts
13P sounds like its going to over rev the heck out of it. I might be wrong as props can be tricky but be careful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.