NC Angler Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to chasentails to look at old post during march to see what was hitting, and noticed puffers. Do people clean and eat these may seem like a dumb question but here we keep them in aquariums. lol i didnt know for sure if i was aloud if i caught one. ill try anything fish related once but when i looked on North Carolina's fish and game there's no mention of a limit or size so i didnt know if you guys could help on this one. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
First of all I don't eat fish so I can't speak from experience but I've had old timers tell me how sweet the meat is. I've cleaned a few and they clean easy. Peel back the skin and there are two fingers of meat on the back. Not hard at all and definitely worth the effort if you enjoy fish.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I am going to Macon area tomorrow, the weather is supposed to be balmy. What are the lat/long coordinates of the hot puffer bite - bank fishing? :rolleyes: I need to get out bad and score some MEAT any other meat besides puffer is ok too except

·
Registered
165 Posts
I threw puffers back for years until I finally broke down and tried eating one. Now, only the very smallest ones make it back to swim again. The meat tastes, feels and looks just like chicken. I bread and pan fried them and then roll them in buffalo sauce.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Right off the end of the dock in the hook at Cape Lookout lighthouse is a great place to catch them. We met some guys from "up north" that come down only to catch toads. They caught around 1200-1500 over a few days. When you clean them, get a cheap pair of gloves at the dollar store to clean the fish. The skin is very tough and will rub your hands raw quickly. Don't try to clean the gloves afterward. They are definitely throwaways, hence the word "cheap".

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
figured it out its about 2hrs from where im staying dont know if ill be able to go out there would be amazing though. what makes that such a good place to fish for puffers i wonder?

·
Registered
662 Posts
You would have to have your own boat or take a ferry to get over to Cape Lookout. Ive never targeted blow toads before but we catch them all the time when surf fishing for sea mullet. We seem to do fine on shrimp with them, others here might know of a more successful bait for them.

They bight super soft and often times i only know i have them hooked when my line stops holding bottom. When ive caught them out of a boat it was opposite, my line would go tight even if i reeled in a bit.

Like others said, they eat great, one of my favorite fish. They make a fish cleaning tool just for them, http://shop.tarheeltacklebox.com/Toad-Tool-TTB-01.htm

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.