NC Angler Forums banner

Pumpkinseeds

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  biglenr 
#1 ·
I live around the brier creek area of Raleigh and I just got my 50 gallon native fish tank started. So far I have a green sunfish and a redbreast in there and I am looking to add a couple of pumpkinseeds. Any ponds/creeks/lakes nearby that are good places to catch them?

#4 ·
Thanks for the info! The redbreast that I put in the tank is a little bigger and I have been having a hard time getting him to eat. I have been catching some nice looking sunfish in crabtree creek and the upper parts of the eno but just haven't been able to find any pumpkinseeds.

#8 ·
welcome to the site wolf, i had trouble finding true pumpkinseeds in the area, most of what i got my hands on were hybrids. Focus on nearby river access and creeks to have your best chance at em. If you ever make it out to the goldsboro area should be able to catch some nice ones and shellcrackers in the neuse from shore. i caught some in falls and crabtree creek but they didn't have the vibrant color I was looking for.

Be careful adding the fish in the order that you did, you chose the two most aggressive sunfish to start out with and they may get territorial with any new fish you add. hope the redbreast eats for ya!

#10 ·
Did you every get the pumpkin seed? I found a pond with herds of 3" pumpkinseeds that will eat anything that comes near the water. Not much fun to catch, but should be good for a tank.

Reactions: Wolf Pirate
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.